Quintana Roo is known for being the Mexican Caribbean state, destination of sun and beach. A lot of culture awaits you here, surely some archaeological zone of Quintana Roo surprises you.
The state of Quintana Roo encompasses much of the tourism of Mexico, Cancun and Riviera Maya are a leading tourist destination internationally. In the northern part of Quintana Roo is where tourism is concentrated, the southern zone is full of much more protected cultural experience.
Sure you are surprised by several archaeological sites of Quintana Roo, let's take a short walk through them.
Do not miss the 5 Mayan pyramids of Mexico most incredible
Content of the article
THE 5 ARCHAEOLOGICAL ZONES OF QUINTANA ROO THAT I WOULD NOT MISS
We will get to know the great archeological zones of Quintana Roo, those that we recommend not to get lost in your visit. Or at least they'll sign you up for the next visit around here 😉
El INAH administers 14 archaeological zones of Quintana Roo with payment entrance.
- Muyil, Tulum, Cobá, Xel-Há and Xcaret in the Riviera Maya area
- El Rey, San Miguelito and El Meco in Cancun
- San Gervasio on the island of Cozumel.
- Kohunlich, Dzibanché-Kinichná, Oxtankah, and Chacchoben, in the south of Quintana Roo
Tulum is the postcard of the Mexican Caribbean, the best known archaeological site of Quintana Roo. It is very difficult not to go for being the icon of Riviera Maya. Here it is difficult to dodge the masses of tourists, but nevertheless it retains its charm.
- THE BEST: the panoramas that Tulum gives you next to the sea, and the beach that has, where you can bathe if the tide is not high (they close it in this case)
- WORST: the number of people who visit it makes it very difficult to visit it calmly
Cobá It is a very complete city to visit for its history, vestiges and surroundings. Can visit it on foot or by bike, good part of the road for shade, something very positive in this hot climate. Coba has emblematic steles within the Mayan world.
- THE BEST: Climb to the highest temple of the archaeological sites of Quintana Roo: a temple of 42 meters high, from where you can see the plain Peninsula The views are breathtaking.
- WORST: the only bad thing is its proximity to Riviera Maya, it represents many visitors, but you can always dodge the masses.
Muyil is an archaeological site that despite being small is in an area of jungle in the Sian ka'an Biosphere Reserve That is to enjoy. Stones and nature combine perfectly in Muyil, one of the most important ports of the Mayan civilization.
- THE BEST: From Muyil, there is an interpretive path that leads you through the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve to the lagoon. Boat trips leave here.
- WORST: Like Cobá, its proximity to Riviera Maya makes it more visited than normal.
Kohunlich is my undoing, an archaeological site with an impressive charm. His famous masks are the icon from one of the most impressive vestiges of the south. Its palms and its natural environment together with the impressive buildings and history of the place makes it essential for me. Sometimes they look cute, besides además
- THE BEST: The walk in the jungle environment closed with those palms is wonderful. The masks are print.
- WORST: Hard to find something, I would say mosquitoes at some times of the year.
Dzibanché is another beautiful and historic city in the south of Quintana Roo where you can taste the history between steles, buildings, stucco and engravings that will not leave you indifferent. In Dzibanché the Kaan lineage originates, one of the most powerful of the Mayan civilization. You visit a very powerful vestige loaded with stories. It's easy for you to be accompanied by monkeys in Dzibanché, a walk through the wonderful jungle.
- THE BEST: there are stucco reliefs that are wonderful and cannot be seen in other cities. There are many details in Dzibanché, the space is wonderful.
- WORST: You will usually be practically alone, except when the cruise tours arrive from Mahahaual, just that little detail.
Tips for visiting the archaeological sites of Quintana Roo:
SCHEDULES AND SERVICES OF THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREAS: They open from 8 to 5 in the afternoon. Many close the lockers at 4 in the afternoon. All have bath services, in the largest you find where to buy water and crafts at the entrance.
PRICES ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREAS OF QUINTANA ROO: Tickets range from 55 pesos to 80 pesos. On Sundays the entrance of the INAH is free for Mexicans and permanent residents with accreditation. The access to the archaeological zones is free every day to Mexicans • Older than 60 years (with official identification) • Retired and pensioners (with official institution credential) • Teachers and students (with official credential of the Mexican Educational System) • Children up to 12 years • Researchers and interns (with INAH permission)
WHAT TO BRING VISITS TO THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREAS OF QUINTANA ROO? In Quintana Roo it is hot all year round, so we recommend the following: light and light clothing, a hat that covers your head and the head well, closed and comfortable shoes to climb structures and protect you from insect bites. Carrying water always goes well, there are no services or sell water inside the enclosure. Visits can last perfectly more than an hour and a half, hydrate continuously. Mosquito repellent and sunscreen if you are not well covered with clothing.
Those of you who like archeology would certainly not miss any of the archeological sites, the truth is that they all have their beauty and particularity. The lists are a way to facilitate the choice to those who know less the destination. I hope you have a nice trip through these lands.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.