The Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve is one of the most coveted natural paradises near the Riviera Maya. Touring the Reserve by free is a good option for adventurers.
The Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve receives many daily visitors from the Riviera Maya. The fishermen cooperatives of Punta Allen live off the clients that the agencies send on tour.
Tourists are waiting for an adventure day in 4 × 4 with 3 hours boat ride through the mangrove and open sea to see dolphins and turtles in their natural habitat, and with a swim in a natural pool. You don't need a fish or lobster to eat if you pay extra. An adventure where you can drive an 4 × 4 and navigate among Caribbean wildlife.
Sian Ka'an is very attractive for the Riviera Maya tourist, it is one of the best selling tours.
Content of the article
- Visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve by yourself:
- How to visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
- Places to visit in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve:
- Where to sleep in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
- What to take to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
- How to go from Riviera Maya to Sian Ka'an?
- Do you plan to visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve by rental car?
- Where do I have lunch at the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
- Opening hours and prices for Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve:
- When is the sun in the Riviera Maya?
Visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve by yourself:
Despite living on the tours, Sian Ka'an welcomes more and more travelers who come by free Until the Reserve. It is a good place to enjoy at your leisure, spending the night in one of the hotels of the Sian Ka'an reserve or in a day from the Riviera Maya. If you can choose, I recommend you spend the night in the Reserve.
Many travelers choose visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve for free, one of the most captivating coastal natural sites near the busy Riviera Maya.
The road through the Reserve is sandy, unpaved, so not all cars are comfortable to travel, especially in the rainy season, when constant holes form on the road.
How to visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
La Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve it is a place for travel by car. From the nearby entrance to Tulum to Punta Allen, the farthest population, there is 50 kilometers of unpaved roadr. In this section that crosses the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, you will find different places to stop and enjoy the Reserve. For this reason the car is ideal, to stop where you want How to visit Sian Ka'an?
- ON TOUR WITH AGENCY: en Riviera Maya offer a tour in 4 × 4 through the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. Look to hire an excursion with activities of boat trips in the mangrove or in the open sea to see turtles and dolphins, go kayaking or snorkeling. Only the jeep is a bland tour.
- BY OWN CAR OR RENT: For those who do not like to go to the rhythm of an excursion and want to enjoy this earthly paradise at your leisure, you can go by car. Renting a car in Riviera Maya is very simple. For this excursion, due to the road conditions, especially in the rainy season, it is important to have a comfortable car and good shock absorbers.
- BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT de Tulum to Punta Allen There are combi from Tuesday to Saturday that leave at 4 in the afternoon of the Tulum shark trade union. From Punta Allen they leave towards Tulum at 7 in the morning. The price of the ticket is 200 pesos per person and route. Another way to go is with the van de easy tour that leaves in front of the super Aki of Tulum at 1: 45 in the afternoon. It takes you to the visitor center of the Sian Ka'an Reserve, and from there by boat to Punta Allen. The bad thing about these options is that you miss stopping along the way. Anyway stay in Punta Allen is worth it for lovers of authentic and peaceful places of nature.
- FROM MUYIL: en the archaeological zone of Muyil there is a path that runs a Interpretive trail of 2 kilometers by the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve and it reaches the lagoon. Excursions by boat leave from this lagoon: between an hour and a half and two hours it costs 800 pesos per person. The boats are from 6 people. Wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun and long sleeves, the boats are not roofed (they do not allow it so as not to damage the mangrove with the roof of the boat, it goes through a narrow channel). You can bathe in the canal and visit a small archaeological site. Good excursion
- CYCLING: I never did pedaling but it seems like the best way to visit Sian Ka'an, someday 🙂
Places to visit in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve:
Since you've arrived here by car, give yourself life on the road. Stop wherever you think you'll have a good view, walk, peek at the beach. be curious There are many wonderful places within the Reserve without indicating, discover the place. If you do not go with a lot of time, I'll tell you the most relevant of the road to Punta Allen.
- ENTRY TO THE RESERVE BY TULUM: the entrance arch to the Reserve is located near the town of Tulum: follow the signs that indicate Boca Paila. Right at the entrance where you get your ticket there is a cenote that you can visit.
- VISITORS CENTER: 15 kilometers from the entrance to the Reserve is this center. From here you can rent kayaks and take boat trips. Do not miss the views of the lagoon from the pier and the watchtower.
- Friends of Sian Ka'an: This association is within the Reserve. It is a non-profit organization that works for environmental conservation and sustainable development throughout Quintana Roo.
- PUENTE BOCA PAILA: The fishermen come to the bridge to take their luck. A habitual inhabitant is a crocodile that usually roams the area, so as crystal clear and appetizing as you can see the water, better watch life go by from the bridge. Some have had a scare because of the lizard (crocodile).
- PUNTA ALLEN: es the fishing village at the end of the road, haven of peace next to Riviera Maya, excellent getaway. There are several cheap lodgings to stay, you can also take your tent. Make very cool excursionsFrom dolphins in freedom, snorkel and tour the Mayan ruins that dot the lagoon Caapechén. Punta Allen is a quiet place to stay.
In Punta Allen the local tours leave with one of the cooperatives of the place. EXCURSIONS PRICE: The payment of the excursions is by boat of 6 people, so you can share with other travelers to save. The price for an excursion from 2 to 3 hours by boat from 6 people is about the 3000 pesos.
The tour is a boat ride through lagoons and mangroves to go out to the open sea and see dolphins and turtles in their natural habitat. Pure nature awaits you in Sian Ka'an, the blues fall in love. The boat tour ends in the natural pools of Blanquizal.
Take cash to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, almost impossible to pay with a card in Punta Allen, and there is no ATM.
I personally know the contact people we passed you. Like us they are nature guides certified by the Government. Sure you enjoy the destination 🙂
Where to sleep in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
- Punta Allen: In this town you can find several lodges and restaurants to taste the fish and seafood of the Caribbean. Very caribeño and calm the population, of those that there is nothing to do and you only want to swing in your hammock. I like Punta Allen 🙂
- Accommodations on the road: Within the Reserve there are enviable accommodations at the foot of the beach, they are not cheap.
- Camping area: There is an area enabled for your campaign booth. Sleeping in front of the sea in this area is a joy. Get ready to fight mosquitoes and gnats, but it will be worth it. They inform you at the entrance.
El Manglex Eco-Hotel te It may surprise. It is located in Tulum near the entrance to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. BOOK from this link.
On the way you will see the few privileged hotels that we find inside the Reserve. Most high budget, they are a luxury. In Punta Allen town you find cheaper accommodation.
You can look on this link hotel deals in Sian Ka'an.
What to take to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
Wear comfortable and fresh clothes, don't forget your swimsuit, towel and change of clothes. Sunscreen or better a good hat and long-sleeved cotton, and mosquito repellent. A good footwear for the sand and ready. And above all take with you all the garbage you generate.
How to go from Riviera Maya to Sian Ka'an?
- Section of your hotel to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve: la federal highway 307 It is the one that runs through the Riviera Maya. The all-inclusive hotels are located on this road. Leaving your hotel by car you must go to Tulum Before entering the town, turn towards the coast where you indicate Boca Paila. Duration: about 30 minutes from your hotel in Playa del Carmen at the entrance of the Reserve.
- Reserve Section to Punta Allen: la road is sandy, it's not paved, so in good condition, take between hour and a half and two hours from Tulum to Punta Allen. In bad condition, put 5 hours and a little more, no kidding. After the rainy season (June to November), normally the repair in November. As the weather is changing, better ask how the road is. There is no gas station in the Reserve, or in Punta Allen.
Do you plan to visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve by rental car?
We recommend you book your car online months before, especially if you travel in peak times such as Christmas, Easter or summer. They tend to increase prices as the date approaches, just as it happens with airline tickets.
The excursions that go through the Reserve do it all in cars 4 × 4, it gives adventure and the environment favors it a lot. You honestly do not need an 4 × 4 to travel the area, but it does provide comfort and safety on a road that sometimes gets difficult through the holes. Go to the little step and enjoy the road.
Book from this Rentalcars link, a good search engine that compares prices between companies and gives customer opinions
Where do I have lunch at the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve?
In Punta Allen there are fish and seafood restaurants. Cost lunch about 160 mxn per person.
On the way to Punta Allen there are lodgings with restaurants open to the public where you can enjoy the beaches. There are not many, it is a matter of being curious, you look, discover when you see a sign indicating accommodation with the open passage.
Opening hours and prices for Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve:
The entrance to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve opens from 8 to 17 hours. Every day and the entrance are 68 mxn. Remember that you can sleep inside the Reserve.
When is the sun in the Riviera Maya?
As you do not know the road is better than Arrive with daylight at your hotel. In addition, the roads are poorly lit and driving is complicated.
- In winter time (November to May). During these months the sun sets between 6 and 7 in the afternoon.
- In summer time (April to October). During these months the sun sets between 7 and 9 at night.
I hope you enjoy and organize your excursion with this information. This is one of the many excursions by car what can you do from Riviera Maya. Drive in a prudent manner and respect the signs.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, towers and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.