The trips involve different means of transport, some very particular to the areas you visit. transportation of the Yucatan Peninsula will you be able to try it on your trip?
Transport remains engraved on the map of the memory of travelers, some of us are addicted to trying different means of movement. I am one of the people who like to move locally, the closeness and situations that are created in public transport with the locals is much closer than any of the other ways of moving. For me this is such a powerful advantage that it becomes a main reason for many of my travels. In this sense, what are the discomforts of depending on schedules and looking for life, for me it is a beautiful part of the trip.
It is the perfect way to get to know a destination in depth, move with local transport and mingle with local people. From there talks and situations are born that make your journey a wonderful experience.
13 good reasons to traveling through the Yucatan peninsula
Advantages and disadvantages of transportation in the Yucatan Peninsula
ADVANTAGES: in the Yucatan Peninsula you will find many transport possibilities that connect the different towns, as well as, of course, the big cities. To move between small populations there is always an option, you will not be left lying.
DISADVANTAGES: What is worse connected because they are on roads away from the highway are cenotes and haciendas, of course not all, but some. Local Yucatan Peninsula transports stop wherever you want. This makes a 2 hour walk easily turn into 3 hours due to the continuous stops.
Types of transport of the Yucatan Peninsula
We are going to detail the different means of transportation of the Yucatan Peninsula that you can find to explore the. Large towns are well connected as well as villages. In the villages, people usually get around by local transport, many do not have a car, so there are ways to get around.
BUS: it is called a bus or truck. It is the usual means of transport between large towns such as Mérida, Cancun, Paya del Carmen, Tulum, Chetumal, Bacalar Campeche, Valladolid ... There are first-class and second-class buses that offer different services. About 40 people. An advice, always wear a jacket for the bus, they put the air conditioning very strong.
- first category: ADO is the main bus company that operates in the Yucatan Peninsula. These buses have fixed stops and established schedules. They offer good service, punctuality and online ticket sales. If you buy in advance they usually have offers. The good thing is that if you want to cancel a trip, you can do it up to half an hour before the bus leaves and change them for other dates at no cost. There are other companies such as Nordeste, which is the one that operates in the north east of the Peninsula, the Ría Lagartos Reserve area, based in Tizimín.
- second category: they are buses that leave from the same ADO terminals (read adeo) with established departure times and link different cities. Change the comfort of the bus and make intermediate stops, so you know when you leave but not when you arrive. They bring you closer to populations where ADO does not reach, such as Peto, Oxcutzcab, Maní or so many others.
COLLECTIVES: the collectives are vans between 12 or 15 passengers moving between towns. Many times they make the same route with the big buses but they allow you to get off there where you want, as is the example between Cancun-Playa del Carmen-Tulum in Riviera Maya (they tend to drive worse than in the rest of the Peninsula in this area). The great majority of populations there are groups that make routes to the surroundings. If you go with Large luggage hinders mobility. Many times I use them based on a population, for example Mérida, and I move around collectively. The collectives are named after the populations that join the view, in the glass in front.
COLLECTIVE TAXI: the 4-passenger car, the typical taxi that we know but works differently. In many towns there is a collective taxi stop and when they are full they leave for their destination. If you want to pay for the missing ticket, you can too. For example, from Tizimín to Valladolid there is a collective taxi, each passenger pays 40 pesos, even cheaper than the large bus. They are used a lot between populations. They do not usually put the air conditioning and some are somewhat neglected.
PRIVATE TAXI: They offer better services with air-conditioned cars. You agree on a price with the taxi driver and you can go wherever you want. Taxis are widely used both in Riviera Maya and in other destinations such as Mérida or Valladolid, where you can tour and you can get to all places. Many taxi drivers are professionals who have been taking tourists for years. If you need a contact for a taxi driver that I know personally in Riviera Maya or Valladolid, ask me, I will gladly give you their number, they will surely not disappoint you.
MOTOTAXI: to move within the towns or on short trips there is the option of mototaxi. It is a motorcycle attached to a platform with benches where you can sit covered with a canvas that serves as a sunshade. It is next to the tricitaxis, one of the most picturesque transports in the Yucatan Peninsula. The tuk-tuk arrived a few years ago, more common in Asian countries, where they are made from the factory. There are mototaxis tuned I love them, everyone does theirs, they are wonderful.
TRICITAXI: same as the motorcycle taxi but with a bike. As the mototaxis are often seen walking the streets of the towns or stops in the central square or next to the market, from where you take them. It is cheaper than the mototaxi, they use it for daily chores: there are children from schools that have their own mototaxi or tricitaxi that collects them daily, to give an example of local use.
If you do not take a mototaxi or a tricitaxi you did not live the Yucatan Peninsula
That you have a pleasant road on wheels, you will see how easy it is to travel a large part of the Peninsula on wheels. We hope you will find this transport guide of the Yucatan Peninsula. You will see how kind most people are. Travel with respect and you will see the kindness you will find in these Mayan lands.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.