The trips involve different means of transport, some very particular of the areas you visit. What transports will you find in the Yucatan Peninsula?
The transports remain engraved on the map of the memory of travelers, some of us are addicted to try different means of movement. I am one of the people that I like to move locally, the proximity and situations that are created in public transport with the locals is much narrower than any of the other ways of moving. For me this is such a powerful advantage that it becomes the main reason for many of my trips. In this sense what are the discomforts of depending on schedules and looking for your life, for me it is a beautiful part of the trip.
It is the perfect way to know a destination in depth, moving with local transport and mixing with people. From there are born talks and situations that make your way a great experience.
In local transport the destination is known from the root
Advantages and disadvantages of transport in the Yucatan Peninsula
ADVANTAGES: in the Yucatan Peninsula you will find many transport possibilities that connect the different towns, as well as, of course, the big cities. To move between small populations there is always an option, you will not be left lying.
DISADVANTAGES: What is worse connected by being on roads away from the road are cenotes and haciendas, of course not all, but some. The local transports stop wherever you want, and that makes a road of 2 hours easily converted into 4 hours by the continuous stops.
Types of transport of the Yucatan Peninsula
We are going to detail the different means of transportation you can find to explore the Yucatan Peninsula. The large towns are well connected as well as the small towns. In the villages people usually move in local transport, many do not have a car, so there are ways to get around.
BUS: it is called bus or truck. It is the means of usual transportation between large populations such as Mérida, Cancún, Paya del Carmen, Tulum, Chetumal, Bacalar Campeche, Valladolid ... There are first class and second category buses, which offer different services. About 40 people. An advice, always wear a jacket for the bus, they put the air conditioning very strong.
- first category: ADO It is the main bus company that operates in the Yucatan Peninsula. These buses have fixed stops and established hours. They offer good service, punctuality and sale of tickets online. If you buy in advance usually have offers. The good thing is that if you want to cancel a trip, you can do it until half an hour before the departure of the bus and change them for other dates at no cost. There are other companies such as Northeast, which operates in the north east of the Peninsula, the Ría Lagartos Reserve area, based in Tizimín.
- second category: they are buses that leave the same ADO terminals (read adeo) with established departure times and link different cities. Change the comfort of the bus and they make intermediate stops, so you know when you leave but not when you arrive. They bring you closer to towns where the ADO does not arrive, such as Peto, Oxcutzcab, Maní or many others.
COLLECTIVES: the collectives are vans between 12 or 15 passengers moving between towns. Many times they make the same route with the big buses but they allow you to get off there where you want, as is the example between Cancun-Playa del Carmen-Tulum in Riviera Maya (they tend to drive worse than in the rest of the Peninsula in this area). The great majority of populations there are groups that make routes to the surroundings. If you go with Large luggage hinders mobility. Many times I use them based on a population, for example Mérida, and I move around collectively. The collectives are named after the populations that join the view, in the glass in front.
COLLECTIVE TAXI: 4 passenger car, the typical taxi we know but it works differently. In many populations there are collective taxi stop and when they are full they go to their destination. If you want to pay for the passage of the missing, you can also. For example, from Tizimin to Valladolid there is a collective taxi, each passenger pays 40 pesos, even cheaper than the large bus. They are widely used among populations. They do not usually have air conditioning and they are somewhat old.
PRIVATE TAXI: offer better services with cars with air conditioning. You agree a price with the taxi driver and you can go where you want. Taxis are widely used both in Riviera Maya and in other destinations such as Merida or Valladolid, where tourists can get to all places. Many Taxi drivers are professionals who take tourists years ago If you need a taxi driver contact that I know personally in Riviera Maya or Valladolid you ask me, I pass your number with pleasure, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
MOTOTAXI: To move within the towns or in short trips there is the option of motorcycle taxi. It is a motorcycle attached to a platform with benches where you can sit covered with a tarp that serves as a parasol. It is next to the tricitaxis, of the Most picturesque transports in the Yucatan Peninsula. Since a few years ago came the tuk.-tuk, more usual in Asian countries, where they are made from the factory. There is mototaxis tuned I love them, everyone does theirs, they are wonderful.
TRICITAXI: same as the motorcycle taxi but with a bike. As the mototaxis are often seen walking the streets of the towns or stops in the central square or next to the market, from where you take them. It is cheaper than the mototaxi, they use it for daily chores: there are children from schools that have their own mototaxi or tricitaxi that collects them daily, to give an example of local use.
If you do not take a mototaxi or a tricitaxi you did not live the Yucatan Peninsula
That you have a pleasant road on wheels, you will see how easy it is to travel a large part of the Peninsula on wheels. We hope you will find this transport guide of the Yucatan Peninsula. You will see how kind most people are. Travel with respect and you will see the kindness you will find in these Mayan lands.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.