Sayil is one of the most important ancient Mayan cities known as Ruta Puuc, which brings together different cities of Puuc architectural style. Beautiful and lonely is Sayil, a candy.
The Puuc Route is a cool one, I like this area very much because of the archeological zones, the caves that are there, the villages and the friendliness of its people. Spending a few days is this area is a good option for those who like to settle in peace.
In this area you will live an authentic Yucatan.
Content of the article
The Puuc Route
The so-called Puuc Route is basically formed by the archaeological zones of Xlapak, Sayil, Labná, Kabah and Uxmal, the jewel of the puuc. These ancient Mayan cities share a common and own architecture, the puuc style, for many is the most exquisite, elaborate and careful among the different Mayan architectural styles.
Sayil It was once one of the most important in the area, it is worth stopping to know it. This area is very interesting, if you feel like going through it I advise you to read how to do it in this post the route Puuc.
What are the 5 archaeological sites of Yucatán that I wouldn't lose
How to go to Sayil:
Once past the town of Santa Elena and Kabah, we find the road of the Puuc Route where Sayil, Xlapak and Labná are located, the furthest. Sayil is the first stop on your way. On this road you also find the Loltún caves.
Although it is close to Merida, it is a somewhat remote area in a sense, due to the low number of visitors. I tell you how to go:
- tour with agency: From Mérida the agencies offer tours to see the puuc route. The two most demanded puuc cities are Uxmal that package it with Kabah.
- renting car: from Mérida take the 261 road towards Muna-Uxmal-Santa Elena, well indicated. Many travelers are encouraged to drive through the tranquil Yucatan Peninsula.
- collective transport: From Mérida, buses depart from the bus station on 69 street between 68 and 70, a group that runs along the Puuc Route. He leaves at the 8 and returns to the 16 hours, on Sundays. If you stay in Santa Elena you can also arrive by bus.
If you decide to do it for free, I recommend you stay a few days in this area. I really like the option of sleeping in Santa Elena.
Short brushstrokes on Sayil:
Sayil (place of the arrieras ants), is together with Uxmal and Kabah, of the great cities of puuc. Puuc it is a Mayan word that means hill, turkey o loma, which indicates the somewhat more than 300 meters of elevation in this area. This means that there are no cenotes here due to this elevation.
Cenotes are the main freshwater supply system in much of the Yucatan Peninsula.
In this puuc zone, to solve this natural lack, they were built chultunes, wells built to collect rainwater. Each house had its chultún. Sayil, where it is estimated that 17.000 people lived, had hundreds.
Sayil reached its apogee in the classic terminal period, close to the 900 year.
How to travel Sayil?
Sayil's entrance takes you directly to its most emblematic building, known as the North Palace. A beautiful building of 3 plants that dazzles, of the most beautiful I've seen.
From here comes a white road (sacbé) of a kilometer of travel to the other most relevant building, the Mirador temple. Surely it is what I like most about Sayil, this walk between trees and stones, little shadows while the Yucatecan leaden sun.
Addition Temple of the Mirador, can you see her wake 9 where Yum Keep, god of fertility, is clearly seen Hieroglyphic Jamba Temple (here there are Mayan glyphs) and the South Palace. The road is a line from north to south.
Sayil It is an archaeological zone, I hope it is also for you.
Sayil, Puuc RouteLOCATION: located between Kabah and Xlapak, on the road of the Puuc Route. A 35 kilometers southeast of Uxmal, to 112 km south of Mérida. From Mérida take the 261 road towards Muna-Uxmal-Santa Elena, well indicated.
SCHEDULE AND SERVICES: Open from 8 to 17 daily hours. There are services at the entrance.
PRICE ENTRY: 50 mxn. The Sundays the entrance of INAH is free for Mexicans and permanent residents. Access to archaeological zones is free every day to children under 13 years, students, teachers and senior citizens with valid credentials.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? From Mérida, the ADO station on 69 Street between 68 and 70, a bus leaves the Puuc Route. He leaves at the 8 and returns to the 16 on Sundays.
WHAT TO BRING? Light and light clothes, hat, insect repellent, closed and comfortable shoes to climb structures and protect yourself from insect bites, some water always goes well.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.