We propose you the best routes by car in Riviera Maya. If you like nature and the Mayan world, you can visit two nearby archaeological sites, Tulum and Cobá. Take advantage of the way to see some beautiful cenote.
Content of the article
Route by car to Tulum, Cobá and cenote
The excursion proposal is for you to know for free in rental car the archaeological zone of Jumpsuit y Cobá, and combine the day knowing one of the cenotes of the area. If you are from culture and nature, here is your combo of the day 🙂
Places to visit en route:
Jumpsuit It has an enviable location on the shores of the Caribbean Sea, here is an unforgettable postcard. Tulum has a special charm, it has the air of a refined city. Here the first colonizers arrived and they were surrendered to the beauty of this Mayan city. Many take advantage of the visit to bathe on the beautiful beach within the archaeological site. Read about Tulum.
COBÁ It is one of the most outstanding archaeological zones of the whole Peninsula. As it dates from the Classic Period (250 a..C.-900 dC) they were found Mayan stelae, something of vital importance for the knowledge of the Mayan world. You can climb the 42 meters of the colossal pyramid, the highest in the area: you will have unbeatable views. You can also tour the site by bike or tricitaxi. From the entrance to the pyramid there are 2 kilometers. Read about Cobá
CENOTES: Knowing these treasures and refreshing yourself in them to cope with the heat of this land is something you can't miss. There are many Cenotes on the Tulum Road to Cobá as the Great Cenote, Calavera, Car Wash. He Grand Cenote It is the most visited in the area. Cenotes near Cobá you find those of Saint John of God, and the three closest ones: cenote Multun-Ha, Choo-Há cenote, Tamcach-Há cenote.
What road to take from Riviera Maya?
- Section from your hotel to Tulum: la federal highway 307 It is the one that runs through the Riviera Maya. All-inclusive hotels are located on this road. Leaving your hotel by car you must go address Tulum. The entrance to the archaeological zone is well signposted. Duration: about 1 hour. 60 km
- Section from Tulum to Cobá: about 40 kilometers of road through which several cenotes are announced, such as the Gran Cenote, Calavera, Car Wash ... Duration: about 45 minutes. 47 km
- Section of Cobá to the cenotes: leaving the ruins you must take the road to the left and from here border the lagoon and follow the indicated road Address San Juan de Dios o Cenote Multumhá, which is closer. Duration: 15 minutes
- Section from Cobá to your hotel: come back to the roundabout of Cobá and there address to Tulum on the 109 road. From here the federal 307 but also your hotel. Duration: between 1 hour and a half and 2 hours. 110 km
Hours and cost of the places to visit:
- Jumpsuit open daily 8 to 17 hours, diary. The best time to visit it due to the heat and the least number of tourists, is to enter at 8. Tulum receives more tourism and has no shadows, Cobá does, so I prefer to visit Tulum at a less hot time. Jumpsuit has a price of 70 mxn. Sundays are free for nationals and residents with official identification. The tour for groups of 10 about 800 mxn
- COBÁ open daily 8 to 17 hours, daily. Cobá has a price of 70 mxn. Sundays are free for nationals and residents with official identification. Rent bike-taxi inside the enclosure are 150 mxn and a bike 50 mxn per person. The tour for groups of 10 about 700 mxn
- Price of GRAND CENOTE 180 mxn. Cenote MULTUM HÁ 55 mxn. They all manage their own cost. Opening hours: the cenotes open daily from 8 to 17 hours.
You can have lunch in Cobá where you find several restaurants with an economic menu used to receiving visitors. On the Tulum-Cobá highway you also find cheap restaurants. Cost lunch 150 mxn per person.
Estimated time of visits:
- Tulum one hour and a half approximately. If you go to bathe, calculate more time in the place.
- Cobá can you take some two hours, visiting the first group of buildings to the right of the entrance and arriving at the main pyramid. On the way from 2 kilometer to the pyramid there are other groups of Mayan buildings.
- Cenotes: calculate about one hour In each one.
As you do not know the road is better than Arrive with daylight at your hotel. In addition, the roads are poorly lit and driving is complicated.
When is the sun in the Riviera Maya?
In winter time (November to May). During these months the sun sets between 6 and 7 in the afternoon.
In summer time (April to October). During these months the sun sets between 7 and 9 at night.
I hope you enjoy and organize your excursion with this information. This is one of the many excursions by car what can you do from Riviera Maya. Drive in a prudent manner and respect the signs.
Rent a car in Riviera Maya:
Yes, rent a car you will need to have more than 18 years (some companies over 21 years, and others from 25), a driver's license and credit card. There are many national and international car rental companies, you can find them at airports, in the main cities or on the internet. Rental companies facilitate delivery to hotels. Ah, you don't need to rent a 4 × 4 to move around the Peninsula. My choice is book the car via internet because it is usually cheaper. If you come at Christmas or Easter, I recommend you do it in advance.
If your idea is to rent a car in Riviera Maya, I recommend this website: it includes offers from all the car rental companies in the area. It is the search engine that I use: easy and without surprises. If you book it with them you benefit from the same offers, and I receive a small commission. Something that helps us with the work of the blog.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.