Pink flamingo is the great icon of the Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve. The fishing village of Celestún, located in the Gulf of Mexico, is the main visitor base for the Reserve.
The Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve is one of the 4 cataloged in the Yucatan Peninsula. With those of Ría Lagartos, Calakmul and Sian Ka'an complete the nature poker. The Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve and Ría Lagartos share prominence thanks to pink flamenco.
The coastal population of Celestún is part of the Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve. Celestún is the main base of visitors to the Reserve, where there are several cooperatives that offer boat rides along the estuary.
Over the years in Celestún, lodging and restaurant services have emerged, as well as alternative offers to discover the area.
Visit the best 9 visits near Mérida
Content of the article
- TOURS TO OBSERVE FLAMENCO IN CELESTÚN
- RÍA CELESTÚN BIOSPHERE RESERVE
- BEST TIME TO VISIT CELESTUN
- Observe FLORA Y FAUNA in Ría Celestún
- TOURS AND PRICES RÍA CELESTÚN TOURS
- HOW TO GO FROM MERIDA TO CELESTÚN
- CELESTUN YUCATÁN
- What is the meaning of Celestún?
- What is the weather like in Celestún?
- DO YOU THINK TO RENT A CAR IN YUCATAN?
- HOTELS IN CELESTÚN
TOURS TO OBSERVE FLAMENCO IN CELESTÚN
There two main points from where the boats leave that cross the Ría de Celestún, natural habitat of flamingos. There are other alternative ways to visit the estuary such as kayaking trips. I've never done it and I feel like it.
- FROM THE BRIDGE DOCK: some cooperatives are located in the entrance pier to the town of Celestún. The entrance is well signposted, just across the bridge: there you will find the collection booth and the information. There are services and shops.
- FROM THE BEACH OF THE TOWN: also boats go out, just keep in mind that the distance excursion is longer. Bordering the coast to enter the estuary is beautiful too.
RÍA CELESTÚN BIOSPHERE RESERVE
Nature and ornithology lovers will enjoy the Reserve: 304 bird species between residents and migrants have been counted. The biggest attraction of the Celestún tours is pink flamenco. Of the most attractive, curious and elegant birds to observe.
For those who have not had the opportunity to see flamingos, Celestún is a great option.
BEST TIME TO VISIT CELESTUN
The Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve hosts pink flamenco throughout the year, something very good for the tourist flow. However there are better and weaker times. We will see when is the best time to visit Celestún consulting an expert in the area.
Meche Pérez Mena, expert and owner of the hotel The House of Flamingos, he tells us when I ask him to go in February to see them «February is an excellent season since that is when the courtship begins and thousands gather. We have flamenco all year long, now in December the flocks are from 200 to 400, in a few more weeks they will be gathered by thousands and once they are together it will be like this until March April ».
If you want to go out to meet flamingos, I can't recommend you to anyone better. Alexander Dzib and Meche Perez are a pair of bird master guides. TEACHERS
The worst months to see flamenco in Celestún are from April to November. During these months it is a good option to visit the Ría Lagartos Biosphere Reserve.
Flamingo feeds on crustaceans and algae. Its pink color is due to the feeding
Observe FLORA Y FAUNA in Ría Celestún
The magnificent natural setting of the Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve It's not just about flamingos, more surprises await you. The boat ride It runs between cormorants, herons, flamingos, buzzards, frigates, pelicans, hawks, ospreys and kingfishers.
You forget everything sailing the river and watching birds, pure enjoyment.
The Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve is an ideal place for bird watching. There are more than 300 species
These are the most representative species of flora and fauna according to the CONANP agency.
FLORA: Red Mangrove (Rhizophora Mangrove), Black Mangrove (Avicennia germinans), Mangrove buttonConocarpus erectus), White Mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa), Chicozapote (Manilkara zapota), Dye (Haematoxylon campechanum), Beach purslane (Sesuvium postulacastrum), (Batis maritima)
WILDLIFE: Green turtle (Chelonia mydas), Loggerhead Turtle (Caretta caretta), Red Heron (Egretta rufescens), American stork (Mycteria americana), Jabiru Stork (Jabiru mycteria), Flemish (Phoenicopterus ruber), Ocelot, tigrillo (Leopardus pardalis), Jaguar (Panthera onca), Jaguarundi, leoncillo (Puma yagouaroundi), Swamp Crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii), Shrimp (Farfantepenaeus sp.), Octopus (Octopus maya), Crab, crabCallinectes sapidus), Hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata)
The waters of the estuary are a mixture of the salty waters of the sea and the sweets that sprout in the form of water eyes: springs of fresh water that look for their exit to the sea, the underground rivers of the Peninsula.
The color of the waters changes throughout the year, from the intense red due to the dye of the mangrove, to the turquoise green. The Biosphere Reserve of Ría Celestún It surprises you no matter what time of year you go.
TOURS AND PRICES RÍA CELESTÚN TOURS
The boats travel the mangrove channels that come out like veins along the sides of the estuary. One of the stops brings us to a waterhole, where you can bathe in the crystal clear waters. The spring water is sometimes dyed earthy, depending on the time of year, the rains remove the funds.
They offer several types of excursions, which vary according to the route with more or less stops. The longer trips take you to the petrified forest, a forest burned by salt, very dreamlike.
The standard of excursions offers 5 points to visit:
- Flamingo Observation: The best hours to see flamenco by boat through the Celestún Reserve is at low tide. Take advantage of these low areas to feed, usually in the morning.
- Island of birds: islet covered by pelicans and frigates, where you can observe the birds in their different life cycles according to the time of year you go: nesting, reproduction, mating.
- Water eye: fresh water spring that sprouts in one of the branches of the estuary, fantastic place. They usually stop between 15 and 20 minutes.
- Mangrove tunnel: walk between the arteries of the mangrove, a unique landscape of nature.
- Tourist hostel: departure and arrival of the flamingo tour. Here you can go to the bathrooms and buy water. There is a small museum site to visit.
Boat trips of an hour and a half to 1600 mxn by boat, with capacity up to 6 people
HOW TO GO FROM MERIDA TO CELESTÚN
- BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT: From Mérida, groups leave 71 Street between 64 and 66 (2 hours approx.). Bus from 67 x 50 and 52 street of the Historic Center of Merida.
- ON TOUR WITH AGENCY: Mérida agencies offer day trips through the Celestún Reserve, pick you up at your hotel and they are small groups.
For travelers who love ornithology or for those who simply enjoy nature, Celestun is a safe bet on your trip. And if you are one of those who do not go in a hurry I recommend you to stay for the night, you have the possibility of discovering the area with bike rides, canoeing or going to see spider monkeys.
Try eating in one of the Beach restaurants with bare feet on the fine sand. Here fish, shrimp, crab, octopus and snail are the kings of the tables, accompanied with a guacamole and refreshed with a beer. Órale Mexico 🍻😎
What is the meaning of Celestún?
Celestún means painted stone. It is a fishing village of less than 5000 inhabitants.
What is the weather like in Celestún?
The average annual temperature is 26,5 º C. From April to October are the hot months, maximum average of 31°C. December to February are the coolest months, with the maximum average daily temperature lower than 28 ° C.
La Rainy season runs from the end of May to the end of October, with a probability of more than 28% It rains. The dry season lasts from October to the end of May.
DO YOU THINK TO RENT A CAR IN YUCATAN?
I usually encourage going out of the road by car, it seems like a great option.
I recommend you book your car online months before, especially if you travel at peak times such as Christmas, Easter or summer. They tend to increase prices as the date approaches, as it happens with airline tickets.
You don't need a 4 × 4 to tour the Peninsula, the roads are good and safe. If you have any questions write us and we try to solve.
Book from the Rentalcars search engine, compare prices between companies and you can see the opinions of other customers.
HOTELS IN CELESTÚN
I have stayed several times in Celestun, a joy to enjoy the sunrise on the beach. If you have a chance it is a good option. Yes reservations through the blog, you do not get more expensive, you benefit from the offers, and it's a way to support my work Upon receiving a small commission.
Sincere thanks for collaborating.
It is entertaining to live the places with calm curiosity. Celestún was one of the first places I met when I came to live on the PeninsulaI had never seen flamingos and it was one of the experiences I wanted to have.
After 12 years in the Peninsula I still look at Celestun with a big smile in my heart.
Celestún Biosphere ReserveLOCATION: Celestún is located on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico at 90 kilometers from Mérida. Hour and a half by car on the 281 road.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? From Mérida depart buses from 71 street between 64 and 66 (2 hours approx.). From Merida, organized day trips to the Ría Celestún Biosphere Reserve.
SCHEDULE EXCURSIONS FOR THE RESERVATION: they are during the sunny hours.
PRICE WALK IN BOAT: 1600 mxn per boat, with capacity up to 6 people. They make excursions of 1 hour or 1 hour and a half. You can share it with other travelers who arrive at the dock.
TIPS: eat in one of the restaurants on the beach, the desserts are ordered by street vendors. The best hours for observing animals is at sunrise and sunset.
WHAT TO BRING? Light and light clothing, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen, closed shoes better and water always goes well. And do not forget the swimsuit.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.