Bacalar is one of the few Magical Towns in the state of Quintana Roo. Its strategic location at the foot of the vast and beautiful Bacalar lagoon makes it a unique place thanks to its history and traditions.
Bacalar It is a town with marked personality on a Caribbean coast that sometimes sins of little cultural identity. Away from the great tourist masses of Riviera Maya, this area is fresh air for the more adventurous, and the town of Bacalar is the most magical place to miss a few days.
Bacalar It is from the coastal towns with stories of pirates: an 18th century fortress on foot from the current square supports those times. The call Fort of San Felipe It is one of the recommended visits in Bacalar. It is in the center, close to the central square, the natural heart of the town where the locals meet to gossip, to have an ice cream, to walk or to show off the bride. The wonderful squares where you see life go by 🙂
WHAT TO DO IN BACALAR
ENJOY THE LAGOON: The great charm of Bacalar is to be on foot of this wonderful natural space, the Bacalar lagoon. The lagoon extends along 55 kilometers between a system of sweet and salty waters that communicate with the Caribbean. The lagoon has different accesses, public and private, either from one of the spas, restaurants or private homes and hotels. RECOMMENDED BALNEARIES IN BACALAR:
- Municipal Spa El Aserradero: local atmosphere and free admission, you only pay if you park the car, about 20 pesos. It is central, 3 blocks from San Felipe fort, on 14 street. Open every day from 9 to 6 in the afternoon.
- Balneario Mágico de Bacalar: the oldest and most popular among locals. On Sundays it's full, well, on Sundays they're all full 😉 At the end of 28 Street you find it. Good food and boat rides.
- Cocolitos Spa: famous for its stromatolites (Take care of this being, thanks to them the Planet was oxygenated), it is one of the most beautiful in Bacalar. The entry is 50 pesos and the schedules from 9 to 18, like most.
- Buena Vista Spa: It is located at km 57 of the Chetumal-Cancún highway. A place with a slide and children's games. You can camp, as in other spas.
- Sac-Há Spa: It is located on the road from Bacalar to Chetumal, on the way to The Rapids. It is a quieter space, with good food.
- Rancho Alegre Spa: this little hotel opens its facilities during the day so that visitors can enjoy the lagoon. close to Los Rápidos de Bacalar. 30 charges the entrance fee.
- Xul-Há Municipal Spa: in the town of Xul-Há we find this spa, with an entrance fee of 10 pesos. A popular place among the local population.
- Beach Club Manantial: Another restaurant facing the lagoon. Like the previous one, because it is further away, there are fewer people.
Some hotels are at the foot of the lagoon, a highly recommended option to wake up with a bath at dawn, pure life. Since the hotels and agencies of Bacalar offer varied excursions around the lagoon. Broadly speaking there are two types of excursion, depending on the boat: one is powered, and another possibility is in a sailboat or catamaran. You go to the same places more or less, but to motor the circuit is cheaper and faster. No engine for a few 550 weights and a boat over the 250 pesos per person.
VISIT THE CASTLE OF SAN FELIPE: In the mere square of the center, where the local atmosphere and several restaurants and shops are concentrated, is this 16th century fortress built to protect the place from the constant attacks of pirates. Today it houses a museum of military history. SCHEDULES AND ENTRY: 20 adult weights, 10 pesos children. From Tuesday to Sunday from 9 to 6 in the afternoon.
BLUE CENOTE: The most well-known and popular cenote in Bacalar, a space to swim and have a nice time in its facilities with restaurant. SCHEDULES AND PRICE: 30 pesos per person, open daily from 10 to 18 hours. Read more of Blue Cenote
CENOTE LA BRUJITA: you will discover that the lagoon has several cenotes, I think they are 5 concretely, being the Brujita next to the cenote Azul the most popular ones. The de la Brujita can be reached by the coastal avenue with 8 street, there is an access by the Javier Rojo Gómez school. You can also go in a kayak, I can assure you that it is quite impressive to reach half of this dark blue.
THE RAPIDS OF XUL-HÁ: one of the excursions in the lagoon are by the known as the rapids, a channel that connects the Bacalar lagoon with the Xul-há lagoon. Up here you can come by taxi from Bacalar, it is about 15 kilometers. There are restaurants and accommodations, as we explained in the hotel guide in Bacalar. Like they offer excursions to the area from Bacalar, the rapids are ideal for kayaking. If you come for free you can rent a kayak in the area. HOW TO GET TO THE RAPIDS: from Chetumal a collective taxi charges you 60 pesos per person, from Bacalar you can also take a collective taxi. On the way back you can ask at the Los Rápidos restaurant They send you a unit. The entrance fee is 50 pesos, 20 parking, a kayak on the 200 pesos.
VISIT THE NEARBY ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREAS TO BACALAR : The southern area of Quintana Roo is full of archaeological surprises, treasures such as Kohunlich, Chacchoben, Dzibanché or the farthest and most fantastic Calakmul or Becan in the state of Campeche. From Bacalar it is difficult to reach many of these cities by public transport, but they offer excursions they visit. Without a doubt my recommended excursion is Calakmul, one of our safety pins tops of the Yucatan Peninsula.
Bacalar is growing in tourism and its service offerings are expanding. I find missing a public viewpoint from where to contemplate the beautiful 7 colors of the lagoon, sometimes the lagoon in the town remains too clogged.
For us The best restaurant at the foot of the lagoon is La Playita, a delicious space that opened in 2012 and has been growing. It is located on the coastal road with 26 street, only 200 meters from San Felipe fort. We leave you the La Playita website so you can browse
The best time to see the colors of the lagoon are the sunny days at the zenith of the sun, from 12 to 2 in the afternoon depending on the time of year.
Bacalar is one of the corners in your path that will make you fall in love, it has magic. Most independent travelers end up wanting to get to know Bacalar, word of mouth is the best symptom of a place.
Bacalar, townsLOCATION:Bacalar is located on the federal 307, 45 km of Chetumal and 350 km of Cancun.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? There are departures from most towns along the coast. Official Web of the main bus company that operates the area. You can also arrive in combi (collective vans).
WHAT MORE TO SEE IN THE AREA?: Cenote Azul, Chetumal, Mahahual and the archaeological sites of Chacchoben or Dzibanché.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, towers and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.