Punta Laguna is a small paradise hidden from the powerful jaws of mass tourism in the Riviera Maya. A Mayan community has been preserving this place for years where the spider monkey is the icing on the adventure that awaits you.
Punta Laguna it's from my favorite places close to Riviera Maya, of those authentic places that are always appreciated on the way. The Punta Laguna Nature Reserve is run for about 10 years by a cooperative formed by different Mayan families who have taken care of the preservation of the beautiful place. Their good work has led them to offer as a great attraction the observation of spider monkeys y saraguatos monkeys in a natural state.
Observation of monkeys in Punta Laguna:
Quintana Roo is the natural habitat of these two species of monkeys, the spider and the saraguato. In Punta Laguna Its observation is simple: monkeys live here that are accustomed to humans because they know they are protected, both themselves and their habitat. The Spider monkey it's easy to observe, to see the saraguato You must have a bit of luck in your visit. Saraguatos there are less and they are more timid. Tips: visit Punta Laguna evening for observe the monkeys. In the morning they go out in search of food and sometimes they do not stay in the area, traveling a radius of 5 kilometers. In the afternoons they return home.
Non-intrusive opportunities to see animals in their natural habitat they are precious experiences to my way of understanding.
Other activities in Punta Laguna:
The whole package of activities offered in Punta Laguna includes: Mayan ceremony, observation of monkeys, canoe, zip line and cenote. You will enjoy a fantastic jungle travel where you will learn stories of their culture from your Mayan guide. In Punta Laguna they speak in maya yucateco, so you will not understand anything when they laugh at your skills 😉
- MAYAN CEREMONY: perform a ceremony where you will participate in a tourist tasting of the authentic rituals that the Mayan town to celebrate events such as plantings, unions, trips ...
- CANOE: You will cross in a canoe the lagoon putting your rowing skills to the test. An experience crossing these waters inhabited by crocodiles (lizards).
- TIROLINA / TIROLESA: flying over the lagoon is adrenalin, a lot of fun awaits you
- CENOTE: The adventure of descending to this cenote is only for the daring ones. The reward is worth it. Among its crystal clear waters are 127 human skulls, you are a few meters from the authentic Mayan history 😉 The Mayans have a very special relationship with the cenotes.
Punta Laguna in Yucatec Maya is known as Otoch Ma'ax Yetel Kooh (house of the monkey and the cougar). For me this place is special, a natural and authentic place that I enjoy much more than the theme parks that tourists usually choose in Riviera Maya.
Site Museum in Punta Laguna
At the entrance of Otoch Ma'ax Yetel Kooh you find a museum with information about the animals of the area, instruments and Mayan way of life. They also sell handicrafts, another way to contribute to the places you visit on your alternative path.
There are not many agencies from Riviera Maya that take you to Punta Laguna, the best option is to go by private car or private excursion. If you are one of those who looks for authentic places without a doubt Punta Laguna It is standing in your way.
SCHEDULE AND SERVICES: Open from 8 to 17 daily hours. They sell drinks and food at the entrance. There are basic and ecological services.
PRICE ENTRY: 350 mxn person the package all the activities. Monkey watching activity: 70 mxn per person and 300 mxn for the guide.
TIPS: visit Punta laguna evening, the best time to see spider monkeys is between 3 y 4 pm.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? From Coba leaves combi towards Punta Laguna. From Riviera Maya you can go, but the trip is very long since you have to combine up to three combis to get there. From Tulum, only two, it is not a very popular route.
WHAT TO BRING? Light and light clothing, swimsuit and towel. Better wear comfortable closed shoes, to protect yourself especially from insects.
THE LAW OF THE GOOD CENOTERO: To avoid contaminating the delicate water of the cenotes, do not use body creams, or protectors, or repellents before entering them. Do not hang from the roots of the trees or touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. It is a good option to take diving mask to see the skulls.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.