As it happens with certain people, there are also places that get the best out of their smiles, that happened to me in Tahcabo. A small town with a lot of history and several interesting places to visit.
There are stretches of the roads of the Peninsula that I have recorded in memory, I'm driving and I know that behind the curve that nice entrance awaits me to such a town, narrow roads and little traffic where the trees are entangled to create natural tunnels or posters that I see again and again and I tell myself, there I have to stop. The sign towards Tahcabo I see it continuous, and luminescent in my head because it came out recently in the mexican archeology magazine, great reference for those interested in prehispanic history and culture. Well then I finally took the road to Tahcabo.
Tacaboh, Mayan village
What I usually do when visiting small towns is to get to the municipal police station, walk and talk, ask if there is a cenote nearby, if you can visit the church or just hang out, I like to breathe tranquility.
At the Tahcabo police station, I was surprised by the information they give you for visit the highlighted places on your own. There is the entrance to the museum, with indications written in Mayan, Spanish and English. I immediately loved the place when you start reading something like that «Be kind and say hello, tell us where you come from, why you visit us, what brought you to us, here we are happy to receive you. If the museum is closed, notify the police station and they will attend you immediately«. I got the best of my smiles, how nice to read them. I believe not to lie to say that part of this achievement of bringing Tahcabo to the visitor, comes from archaeologists who have been working in the place, the museum is funded by the Archaeological Institute of America (AIA). Without a doubt it was a good coexistence and exchange what happened in Tahcabo, being the proud local the soul of this project thanks to your kindness and hospitality.
What to visit in Tahcabo
There 6 highlights that you can visit in the town of Tahcabo, these 6 points give you a complete idea of the prehispanic and later history of the place, the Mayan agricultural world and the natural geology of the Peninsula. It is best to go to the museum first where they will give you the necessary information to complete your visit. Each point to visit has an informative sign.
- I knew about Tahcabo Community Museum and I went to visit him, right in one of the rooms of the municipal police station. It was closed, and as the entrance sign said, the friendly policeman went to find the lady who opened it to the public. Interesting museum and well managed. It is not payment, donations are accepted in a box. Information of the archaeological excavations, of the Mayan civilization and the town itself.
- Church dedicated to San Bartolomé is very attractive because it is a ruined part, like many others along the Peninsula, we can also appreciate the construction pattern used on Mayan lands.
- The acquaintance in Mayan as mull (Mound) is an ancient vestige where they have been digging and investigating. As it used to be done during the Spanish colonization period, the stones of the Mayan temples were used to build the new Catholic temples. This appreciation is easy to see here. According to the archaeological studies that have been carried out in recent years, they date the place as a settlement of more than 2500 years of history.
- a pretty rejollada it brings us closer to geological and agricultural knowledge. The rejolladas are very fertile depressions for cultivation, the result of the collapse of the vault of a cenote, in whose subsoil the groundwater feeds the plantation. Cocoa, sacred food, was cultivated in the rejolladas of the peninsula. In this area you will see several on the way, it is nice to know about the territorial landscape.
- You can also visit a nice cenote a couple of blocks from the square, pity it is so dirty, but the formation of the place is a beauty. Many cenotes of small populations are contaminated by dirt. We lack a lot of environmental education, there are several civil and state groups that are raising awareness among the local population.
- You can also visit the one they call Old house, where you can see the construction line they used in eastern Yucatan. A well of water still shows us where they got and continue to draw water.
Sure you did not expect this extensive menu, right? I tell you It's a very nice surprise Tahcabo, waiting with open arms to visit her. In addition to what is marked in the triptych that is given to you in the museum, there are other caves, rejolladas and cenotes nearby, as well as the cemetery that is usually at the entrance of the towns.
Personally I enjoyed the place and the people of Tahcabo very much. Valeria and Araceli were my spontaneous guides, a luxury share in a calm and healthy way in this beautiful Yucatan. We spent an adventure touring their town together, while we greeted the friendly locals.
I encourage you to travel in a leisurely way, to have the time to greet and talk, to know the environment with interest. Respect and education are the best tools on our way, and Tahcabo is already part of those good memories that one keeps in the heart of living and experience.
Tahcabo, townsLOCATION: Tahcabo is located on the road that links Valladolid with the Ria Lagartos Biosphere Reserve. From the town of Calotmul you must take the detour to Tahcabo, it is about 10 kilometers away, it is well indicated.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? I understood that public transport does not arrive, so the option is to get to Calotmul and from there to take a collective taxi.
FESTIVITIES: the main festivities are in August, the August 24 is celebrated on the day of St. Bartholomew, patron saint of the church. Jarana and dairy in the square and the church.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.