Labna is one of the Mayan cities of the Ruta Puuc, a route where you will enjoy the exquisiteness of the puuc architecture of the ancient Maya. An area rich in history and tradition.
The Puuc Route It is one of the many attractions of Yucatan, a state rich in history where you can walk between past and present, trips that lead you to learning and reflection.
Travel with respect and you will see how the doors open for an incredible journey.
Content of the article
The Puuc Route:
The so-called Puuc Route is basically formed by the archaeological zones of Xlapak, Sayil, Labná, Kabah and Uxmal, the jewel of the puuc. These ancient Mayan cities share a common and own architecture, the puuc style, for many it is the most exquisite, elaborated and careful among the different Mayan architectural styles.
Labna For me it is an essential stop in this area. This area is very interesting, if you feel like going through it I advise you to read how to do it in this post la Puuc Route.
Do not miss our essential 5 archaeological sites of Yucatán
How to go to Labná:
Located between Xlapak and the caves of Loltún, in the Puuc Route. 42 kilometers southeast of Uxmal.
- tour with agency: From Mérida the agencies offer tours to see the puuc route. The two most demanded puuc cities are Uxmal that package it with Kabah.
- renting car: from Mérida take the 261 road towards Muna-Uxmal-Santa Elena, well indicated. Many travelers are encouraged to drive through the tranquil Yucatan Peninsula.
- collective transport: From Mérida, buses depart from the bus station on 69 street between 68 and 70, a group that runs along the Puuc Route. He leaves at the 8 and returns to the 16 hours, on Sundays. If you stay in Santa Elena you can also arrive by bus.
If you decide to do it for free, I recommend you stay a few days in this area. I really like the option of sleeping in Santa Elena.
Brief history of Labna:
De Labna (old house o abandoned) there is archaeological evidence that places it from the 200 aC to the 1000 dC. The apogee is dated between the 600 and the 900 dC.
It was part of a group of cities including Uxmal, Sayil and Kabah, which along with Oxkintok, Labna and Nohpat dominated the highest area of Yucatan. An road network, many of which we see today, indicate the relationship between these cities. Puuc it is a Mayan word that means hill, turkey o loma, with something more than 300 elevation meters.
El arch of Labna It is one of the most notorious architectural symbols of the Mayan world.
Explorers in Labná:
This set of Mayan cities of Puuc They have been among the most studied. In the 1842 the explorers John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood opened a window to the Mayan world with their books and lithographs. They did several research work in this area, and Catherwood shaped several emblematic buildings.
His famous arch is part of the memory of many thanks to his drawings. In Mérida you can visit the Catherwood House Museum, where there are original lithographs. A delicatessen space.
How to travel Labná?
It is a small place with emblematic buildings, easy to walk, a beautiful walk awaits you. The archaeological zone is formed four main buildings: the Palace, the Arch, the Viewpoint and the Temple of the Columns. Several sacbé (white road) run through the site joining these main buildings.
The palace It is the longest Puuc building that has been discovered, it is more than 120 meters long. Inside, there are representations of Chaac, representation of rain, lightning, lightning and water in general.
The arc is the little gem: it has 12.6 meters long, 4 meters deep and 5 meters high. The southeast façade is adorned with frets, the northwest façade shows panels with lattices and two niches in which there are remains of stucco sculptures that still retain traces of color. Above the niches there are miniatures of Mayan houses. Architectural beautification
El Mirador It is a great monument that had statues of ball players, as in many occasions there was looting and they were stolen. A pity not being able to appreciate this reconstructed building.
Temple of the Columns: Another sacbé leads you to this building adjoining the Palace. Its columns are its most representative brand.
If you are from stones and history, go to Labna. Not many people usually arrive here, so it is likely that this magnificent vestige you can travel without hardly anyone.
- Location: located between Xlapak and the caves of Loltún, in full Puuc Route. 42 kilometers southeast of Uxmal, 120 km south of Merida. From Mérida take the 261 road towards Muna-Uxmal-Santa Elena, well indicated.
- Hours and services: Open from 8 to 17 daily hours. On Sundays it is free for the national and residents with official identification.
- Entrance cost: 50 mxn
- How to get there by public transport? From Mérida, the ADO station on 69 Street between 68 and 70, a bus leaves the Puuc Route. He leaves at 8 and returns to 16 on Sundays.
- What to bring? Light and light clothing, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen, closed shoes better and some water always goes well.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.