In the 35 kilometers that pass by the one known as Route of the Cenotes, road that joins the coastal Puerto Morelos with the interior Leona Vicario, you find several wonderful cenotes, are you going to lose them?
The Cenotes Route runs on the road that covers the more than 30 kilometers between Puerto Morelos and Leona Vicario. This area is gathering a nature tourism thanks to bird watching areas such as the fantastic Toh reserve, cycling routes, charming jungle hotels, ranches and, of course, the cenotes.
We know the area because we live here from the 2007, we hope to answer your questions : )
The cenotes of the Cenotes Route live from the agency tourism that arrives from Riviera Maya. Most of the cenotes of the Cenotes Route function as adventure parks with different activities such as zip lines, ATV circuits, bikes, visits to different cenotes, ceremonies.
Mira los Cenotes in Playa del Carmen you can't miss
These facts have made more expensive access to these cenotes, compared to the prices that are handled in Yucatan. On this Cenotes Route, only the Cenote Popol Vuh remain on the 100 pesos, something that residents and cenote lovers appreciate.
Content of the article
CENOTES TO VISIT ON THE CENOTES ROUTE
We will go making a route from Puerto Morelos to Leona Vicario to see the cenotes of this popular route of the Cenotes, so you do not miss any and choose to your liking.
1-CENOTE LAS MOJARRAS
El Las Mojarras cenote, With 67 meters in diameter and 17 meters deep, it is the largest open cenote you find in this area, a real place of recreation. Managed by the company Loma Bonita, it offers other interesting activities such as zipline, ATVs and horseback riding,
- Location: cenote The Mojarras It is located at Km 12.5 on the Puerto Morelos - Leona Vicario highway (known as Route of the Cenotes). The detour to your left is signposted. The cenote is at 2.8 Km of the road by dirt road.
- Characteristics of the cenote: Las Mojarras It is open, 67 meters in diameter and 17 in depth.
- Entrance cost: 150 mxn
- Services: basic, palapas, rotisserie, changing tables and zip lines.
2-CENOTE SEVEN BOCAS
El cenote seven mouths It is one of the most expensive. It has seven entries as indicated by its name. Some galleries are connected to each other, so you can swim inside the cave from one entrance to another. The magic of the reflection of the lights is spectacular.
- Location: kilometer 15.5, on the right direction Leona Vicario. Well signaled.
- Characteristics of the cenote: 7 Bocas it is semi-open of 60 m depth. If you dives have spoken to me wonders of 7 Bocas.
- Entrance cost: 300 mxn, residents of Quintana Roo 250 pesos
- Services: basic and rustic. You can have a barbecue, everything has a cost in this cenote.
3-CENOTE MOUTH OF PUMA
El Boca del Puma cenote It is located at kilometer 16 of the aforementioned road. You can visit two cenotes open and one closed, as well as doing other activities in this park of more than 100 hectares. It is a good place to do activities such as horseback riding, quads and vertiginous zip lines of more than 700 meters. I do not know him personally, we will have to look out to assess. On the right, direction Leona Vicario. Price: 250 for local residents and 300 for foreigners. Schedule: of 9 to 18 hours.
Comment from the traveler Iván Ruíz that you can read completely in the lower section of comments «I must say that it is a beauty, it is two cenote, one of them underground, it is beautiful, the vision of this when you enter is not very spectacular compared to others of the type Cavern, but once you use the goggles you are impressed by what the abyss formation looks like, it looks fantastic, then the open cenote is a beauty! (...) the price is $ 250 for local residents and $ 300 for foreigners, you can bring your food and drink, they give you if you want life jacket included in the cost, also the weekend they make food (...) »
4-CENOTE GREEN LIGHT
The incredible crystalline waters of those that we normally enjoy in the cenotes have in cenote Lucero Verde the prize of seeing the aquatic vegetation that stain it with life and color, giving the place a plus: arrive, see it and smile, you are already in your cenote! This open cenote has two platforms from which to launch
- Location: the cenote Lucero Verde It is located at km 18 of the Puerto Morelos-Leona Vicario highway (left hand), on the Ruta de los Cenotes.
- There are toilets, changing rooms, showers, palapa, temazcal, rent vests ...
- Cost: 150 mxn general entry and 100 mxn with resident credential.
- Characteristics of the cenote: the cenote Lucero Verde can be dive y swim. Depth of 9 × 19 meters. It has zip line and a couple of platforms to launch: from 3 and 7 meters.
- Services: basic, palapas, temazcal, zip lines.
5-CENOTE POPOL VUH
Open cenotes, such as Popol Vuh cenote, they lose spectacular formations that we can appreciate in the semi-new type, but they are great recreational spaces. It is very popular among locals to spend the day in a cenote, and the Popol Vuh offers all the facilities in services: barbecue area, palapa, restaurant, bathrooms, vests, changing tables ..
- Location: the cenote Popol Vuh It is located at km 33 of the road, on the left towards Leona Vicario
- Cost: 70 mxn, the most economical in the area
- Lodging: has a house to stay, the House Cenote Popol Vuh.
- Characteristics of the cenote: The Popol Vuh cenote you can dive and swim.
- Services: of bathrooms, changing tables, showers, zip lines ... there are also restaurant services and you can take advantage of a barbecue on the premises.
CENOTES ROUTE MAP
From the main road we will now take a detour that will take us to 4 cenotes and the Toh reserve, a nature reserve where you can watch birds. The cenotes are Zapote, La Noria, Kin-Há and Xenotes Park. This road is of dirt road suitable for all cars. These cenotes are far away to go by public transport.
I had the opportunity to go out to observe birds in this reserve of more than 500 hectares where thanks to their conservation work they are getting native fauna to return through this jungle that we are devastating as predatory ants. This space is a luxury, with marked trails of several kilometers through the jungle. You can also visit the cenotes of the Toh Reserve.
You can visit it with a specialized guide, learn about flora, fauna and also surprise yourself with the cenotes of space. They also do nightly meditations, eager to go to one of them. PRICE: 120 pesos the entrance, I do not know the cost of the other activities. SERVICES: They have ecological services conditioned and a space to give talks.
El cenote Zapote, also known as Hells Bells, is an open cenote of 52 m depth. A well of crystal clear water in the middle of the jungle. For those who practice diving here you can see one of the most unusual bell-shaped formations. And for the bravest, you can launch from a platform of 10 meters. Do you dare Diver?
- Location: kilometer 20, on the left towards Leona Vicario. It is less than 500 meters from Kin-ha.
- Characteristics of the cenote Sapodilla: for swimming and diving, 52 m depth.
- Entrance cost: 200 mxn
- Services: All the services. Circuit of ATVs, zip lines, ceremonies.
7-CENOTE LA NORIA
La Noria Cenote, with a depth of 18 meters and 47 meters in diameter, is cave, with easy access. To dive and bathe. It is located in the 20 kilometer of the route. Next to Kin Ha, the most beautiful for my taste.
- Location: kilometer 20, on the left towards Leona Vicario. Share entrance on the road with the Kin Há and the Zapote, the entrance is well signposted.
- Characteristics of the cenote: La Noria It is underground cavern with a depth of 18 meters and 47 meters in diameter. Ideal for swimming and diving.
- Entrance cost: 250 mxn
- Services: basic, palapas, quad bike rides and zip lines.
8-CENOTE KIN HÁ
El cenote Kin has (Sun and water in Yucatec Maya) is a closed cenote, with some opening where the light penetrates creating magnificent sets of lights, you stay gawking in this cenote. The waters are so crystalline that your sight reaches more than 40 meters deep. There is a hammock hanging between a wooden platform and a column, an idea of geniuses!
- Location: kilometer 20, on the left towards Leona Vicario. Well signaled.
- Characteristics of the cenote: Kin-há It is an underground cavern of 40 m depth. Ideal for swimming and diving.
- Entrance cost: 200 mxn entrance to the Kin Ha, 250 mxn with the Cenote Blanca Flor.
- Services: They have all the services, also restaurant. Bicycle circuit, ATVs, zip lines.
El Grupo Xcaret has a cenote park in this areaa, where to enjoy cenotes and different activities such as rappel, swim by underground rivers, kayak and zip lines. Who knows this company knows that fun is guaranteed. If you want to know your park, the best is buy the ticket directly with them. I leave you direct link to your website. If you are staying in a hotel and you don't have transportation, they put it.
HOTELS IN THE ROUTE OF LOS CENOTES
It seems an interesting option to stay in this area of living jungle. Options like Jolie Jungle (we have stayed and treated us wonderfully), the House Cenote Popol Vuh in the cenote of this same name, the Roots of Heaven and the new and recommended Cheél Lodge Ecológico.
All are great options to sleep in the jungle, in some you will barely have internet signal and you will be in a different environment than usual, to connect directly with your environment. Do not be scared, we can be without internet, it was like that years ago 😉
Another option is to stay in Puerto Morelos, where you find more variety. From Cancun and Playa del Carmen you are also close to the Route of the Cenotes.
I hope the information serves to encourage you to meet them. I'm missing some like the Chilam Balam and the Jungle Park, we will expand the information, because the Cenotes Route is in continuous movement.
The Route of the Cenotes, cenotesLOCATION AND INDICATIONS: la Route of the Cenotes It is located at the exit south of Puerto Morelos (the closest to Playa). You must enter Puerto Morelos by the side, not by the bridge, to take the deviation.
HOW TO TRAVEL THE CENOTES ROUTE? You can walk it in car, contract taxi from Puerto Morelos o Leona Vicario (They will take you to the cenotes and wait for you. Tourism Agency (several agencies offer these cenotes), in bike (It is a route very used by cyclists, who also take advantage of dirt roads inside the jungle) or in public transport.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? There is a collective between Puerto Morelos and Leona Vicario that will leave you on the road: from here you will have to walk a few kilometers along a dirt road through an open forest until you find them. There are some very close to the road like Lucero Verde or Boca del Puma, others like Kin Ha, Zapote or La Noria must walk about 5 kilometers. The schedules of the groups de Puerto Morelos-Leona Vicar: 6 am, 7.15 am, 8.15 am, 12.15 pm, 13.15 pm, 15.15 pm, 17.15 pm, 18.15 pm, 20.15 pm. From Leona to Puerto: 7.15 am, 8.15 am, 9.15 am, 12.15 pm, 13.15 pm, 15.15 pm, 17.15 pm, 18.30 pm, 19.30 pm.
SCHEDULES OF THE CENOTES: normally the cenotes open from 9 to 17 hours.
WHAT TO BRING TO CENOTES? Swimsuit and towel or pareo to dry after bath. A change of clothes to change, hat, insect repellent (use it after bathing if you stay in the area and there are insects). Do not forget the mask or visor (in many cenotes they rent, but that way you save it). You can access most of the tourist cenotes with flip flops, the closed shoe always gives you greater protection, it is my choice almost always. Booties or water shoes are not necessary to access the cenotes. Bring water, the heat squeezes a lot and you need constant hydration.
THE LAW OF THE GOOD CENOTER: To avoid contaminating the delicate water of the cenotes do not use body creams, or protectors, or repellents before entering them. Go through the shower before entering the cenote. Do not hang on the roots of the trees, or touch the stalactites, or do any other idiocy that damages the place. If we learn to appreciate the natural environment we will better treat it.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, towers and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.