Isla Mujeres is one of the Caribbean islands off the coast of the Riviera Maya, one of the most celebrated attractions. Located a few kilometers from Cancun, it becomes an ideal place to spend an excellent day.
Isla Mujeres It used to be the island where the backpackers came, a corner that was kept away from the all-inclusive tourism that began to develop in Cancun. Today it is part of the tourist circuit of the Riviera Maya, until here many tourists arrive to spend the day, others decide to spend the night on the island.
Content of the article
How to go to Isla Mujeres?
Isla Mujeres is located a few 10 kilometers from Cancun, the ferry that leaves from Puerto Juarez and the Zona Hotelera from Cancun it takes 20 minutes. I leave the link with the information of How to get to Isla Mujeres by ferry.
- FOR FREE: It is very easy to arrive by free. Information of How to get to Isla Mujeres by ferry.
- ON TOUR WITH AGENCY: Riviera Maya agencies sell the excursion to Isla Mujeres, where they include transportation and tour of the island.
- ON TOUR WITH COOPERATIVE: Another option is to make the trip with the fishermen's cooperatives that you will see waiting for you in the vicinity of the Puerto Juarez ferry. They are complete excursions with snorkel, food and time to buy in the village. They cost you about 450 pesos and they leave from Puerto Juarez.
What is Isla Mujeres like?
Isla Mujeres is chiquiita, very comfortable to know: an extension of about 8 kilometers long and 1 wide, with several beaches and points to visit.
The ferries arrive at Punta Norte, where the town and the best beach of the place are located, North Beach. Many tourists stay in this place to spend the day, where there are all the services you may require.
How to travel around Isla Mujeres?
- ON EXCURSION: You will snorkel, visit several points of the island and give you free time to tour the town. The excursions with fishermen's cooperatives from Puerto Juarez and Isla Mujeres cost around 450 pesos.
- CYCLING: It is a good option in times of not too hot. The island has some rise, nothing alarming, and because it is small, the route is simple.
- BY TAXI: They travel with space of time so that you enjoy the different points of the island.
- IN A GOLF CART: It is the most popular way to tour the island. At the exit of the ferry you will find several companies that rent a golf cart. They all handle the same prices, around 600 pesos for 1 rental day. In high season like Easter and Christmas, the carts are sold out.
So as not to miss anything in your itinerary, travel the island in the opposite direction of the clock, always to your right and you will make the complete return to the island, it's that easy.
Points of interest of Isla Mujeres:
VILLAGE: In the town, where you disembark, you find shops, restaurants, bars ... It's fun to walk around here. In this area most accommodations are found. If you come without a car and with friends, I recommend the center to move at your leisure. If you come as a family or relaxation plan, you can stay at the southern tip of the island.
NORTH BEACH: you arrive calmly from the pier where the ferry leaves you, it is a beautiful beach where you can spend the day in the purest Caribbean style: warm waters, white sand and palm trees, with lounge chairs and facilities to spend a comfortable day. How easy it is to settle in the Caribbean 🙂 A magnificent place for the sunset, you will see how the water turns mercury, how beautiful the colors are transformed with light.
SHARK BEACH: One of the beaches where you can stop to take a bath, there is a restaurant. Unfortunately they have a cat shark confined in a tiny space. There are tourists who like it. The best way to end a tourism in which you do not believe, is not to participate in the activities.
TURTLE FARM: In this same cart of Tiburón Beach there is a turtle hatchery, to my liking in some miserable conditions for the animals. There are other ways of see turtles in Riviera Maya during the spawning season. If you continue to the end of the road, you will see some entrance to the lagoon.
GARRAFON PARK: following towards the southern tip of the island, there is the Beach club by the Garrafón Park, a place run by the Xcaret group. The entrance per person are about 1200 pesos.
PLAYA GARRAFÓN: adjoining Garrafón Park is this small beach where the entry of 50 weights It is more popular. There is a restaurant, lounge chairs, rent vests and snorkel equipment and share the same reef as the Garrafón Park, where you can swim among fish.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREA: after here it continues until the south point to get to know the Mayan ruins of a sanctuary dedicated to Ixchel. I do not think it's worth paying the ticket but you're very interested, being a minor place. But the views from here are a chulada, so it's worth stopping and taking a walk among the iguanas that take over the place. The sea on this side of the coast is much braver.
The return to the town can do it for the other coast, the less developed one of the island when lacking the beautiful beaches. Here the sea and the wind are stronger, forming a sharp coast, but just as beautiful. You find places to stop, go looking.
Where to sleep in Isla Mujeres?
There are two main options, one is to stay in the town and the other in a hotel or house away from the town. The ferry leaves you in the village, at 500 meters from where is the most beautiful beach of Isla Mujeres: North Beach.
IN THE VILLAGE: you have all the services at your fingertips, restaurants, bars, beaches, agencies ... it's where the bustle is, where the nightlife is also.
OUT OF THE PEOPLE: You may want to be relaxed and more isolated in comfortable rental houses or quieter hotels away from the town. If you want to go to the town, you must take transportation.
Isla Mujeres has a very wide hotel offer, you will surely find your perfect option. I leave you the offers you can find in Isla Mujeres accommodation.
Isla Mujeres living in Cancun is a fixed to which we go with the friends who have come to see us, so I have a special affection for so many good times. It was one of the first places we visited when arriving at the 2007, Isla Mujeres never fails. Just see the colors of the ferry crossing and you're worth the trip.
Isla Mujeres, townsLOCATION: Isla Mujeres is located at 8 kilometers from Cancun.
HOW TO GET TO ISLA MUJERES ?: Isla Mujeres is reached by ferry (20 minutes) from the Zona Hotelera from Cancun, or from the area of Puerto Juarez. I leave this link to How to get to Isla Mujeres by ferry.
HOW TO ARRIVE IN TRANSPORTATION UNTIL THE FERRY? Up to the ferry from Puerto Juarez arrives the 1 route and collective taxis that depart from the Crucero terminal (Av Lopez Portillo with Av. Tulum). In Puerto Juarez there are two ferry companies: Ultramar and Captain Cook (something cheaper). Even the most expensive ferry in Zona Hotelera they take you the routes 1, 2 and 27.
FERRY PRICE: 300 mxn round trip (round trip). 140 pesos for Quintana Roo with official ID
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, towers and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.