The Mexico - Guatemala border has several steps to cross from Chiapas. One of the most common is to cross to Guatemala from the zone of San Cristóbal de las Casas. This border crossing allows you to cross by car, we will see the requirements.
Mexico and Guatemala they share 965 kilometers. On the part of Mexico limits with the states of Chiapas (654 km), Tabasco (108 km) and Campeche (194 km), and in Guatemala with the states of San Marcos, Huehuetenango, Quiché and Petén. From Campeche there is no tourist border with Guatemala.
Content of the article
- The most common border crossings among travelers are:
- Border City of Cuauhtémoc (Mexico) -La Mesilla (Guatemala):
- General requirements to cross the Mexico-Guate border:
- Cross the Mexico - Guatemala border by public transport:
- Cross the Mexico Guatemala border by car:
- Procedures with the car:
- Can you cross in a rental car?
The most common border crossings among travelers are:
- Frontera Corozal (Mexico) - Bethel (Guatemala): el Usumacinta River It is the natural border between these two countries. In the population of Frontera Corozal, starting point towards the ruins of Yaxchilán, is the border booth. The river crosses by boat to Bethel in Guatemala. Bethel is a border town on the way to the interesting Petén area of the Pasión River, with Mayan cities such as Dos Pilas, Ceibal or Aguateca, or Flowers To visit Tikal.
- City of Cuauhtémoc (Mexico) – La Mesilla (Guatemala): the crossing by the mythical Panamericana is very juicy for the traveler. In broad strokes it links two important tourist areas, the beautiful San Cristóbal de las Casas with the area of Lake Atitlan, in Guatemala. You can cross this border by car, an advantage for many, without a doubt. We are going to deal with this border in this post.
- Tapachula (Mexico) - Tecún Umán (Guatemala): one of the most transit borders between Mexico and Guatemala. The famous train of the Beast that joins Mexico with the USA, left from Tapachula, now from Arriaga. For this reason it is a crossing with many undocumented migrants who hope to take this train to the north. You can also cross by car through this step.
Border City of Cuauhtémoc (Mexico) -La Mesilla (Guatemala):
This border unites the state of Chiapas in Mexico from City of Cuauhtémoc, with The table in the state of Huehuetenango in Guatemala. Many travelers cross it after visiting San Cristóbal de las Casas (3 hours and a half) a few others from Comitan (hour and a half). In Guatemala, Huehuetenango (at 2 hours), Chichicastenango or Lake Atitlán awaits you.
The border opens every day of the year. At 9 at night the border is closed, and in La Mesilla, there are not many transportation options for Huehuetenango after the 3 in the afternoon. 6 schedules from morning to 9 at night.
I recommend whenever you can, cross the borders early in the morning or measured tomorrow, avoiding Sundays and holidays, where some services may be closed. Take one photocopy of the papers that you are going to require the car at the border. I do not recommend you travel at night, if you go in your own car leave the road at dusk. The poor lighting of roads and security are the main causes.
In all border crossings there are money changers or money changers. You can change a small amount with them if you don't carry local currency, or wait to find a bank or exchange house on your way. We don't usually change money at the borders because they make a worse change, just like it happens at airports.
General requirements to cross the Mexico-Guate border:
PASSPORT: the travelers we need passport valid for at least 90 days after the departure date of Belize. It is always advisable to travel with your passport valid for 6 months.
VISAS: Spaniards, Argentines, Colombians, Peruvians, Brazilians, Chileans No. They need a visa. Check if your nationality needs a visa:
- Who needs a visa to enter Guatemala here.
- Countries that they do not need a visa to enter Mexico: click here.
- Attention: for the chaotic traffic of this border, sometimes you jump without wanting the Mexican booth and they do not seal you (ring) when leaving, you simply pass the exit, you will not be the first. This misleads the traveler, but it is a reality that must be dealt with. Remember to seal your exit, especially if you want to return to Mexico without bureaucratic problems.
FEES: there are no entry fees a Guatemala, although some officers demand it, in this border this practice is very common (they ask you for some 20 quetzales). Ask for a receipt, and in your person is the more or less discuss with the officers. En Mexico you do not pay when you enter, yes you pay when leaving if you have been more than 7 days in Mexico: 332 mxn (Mexican pesos) per person leaving by land. If you return to your country by plane from Mexico, you will have to pay the airport departure fees (55 euros) provided that a period of more than 7 days of stay in the country has elapsed.
Cross the Mexico - Guatemala border by public transport:
- IN TOURIST COLLECTIVE: from San Cristóbal de las Casas leaves daily tourist transport It crosses the border and takes you to Panajachel, on Lake Atitlan, Antigua or other stops along the way like Huehuetenango. Is a easy and comfortable way to cross the border with other travelers, while you do your paperwork, they wait for you from the other border lake. The vehicles they use are vans or vans of about 12 people. You contract in a simple way this service in San Cristóbal de las Casas agencies: the cost is 500 pesos, they will pick you up at your hotel on the 6 in the morning.
- IN LOCAL COLLECTIVE: you can arrive by collective transport from Comitán to City of Cuauhtémoc, and from here you cross the border doing the procedures to The table, from where buses leave for Huehuetenango or Quetzaltenango. Of City of Cuauhtémoc a The table there is a kilometer, which you can do in tricitaxi for about 10 quetzales. On this border, as it happens in several of Central America, there are people who come to help you cross in exchange for a tip. Personally I do not deem it necessary, they are somewhat binding for my taste: they always exaggerate with the complexity of the procedures and some are unreliable.
- IN PRIVATE TAXI: It is another option to cross the border. I honestly do not know the prices of this option, it depends on the route you want to make.
Cross the Mexico Guatemala border by car:
It tienes private car It is very easy to cross to Guatemala. Few travelers dare to drive through Guatemala, and more in a country where tourist transport works very well, vans that connect the most tourist destinations. Anyway, the pleasure of stopping where you want is a temptation for many.
What do you need?
- passport in order
- driver's license
- the circulation card / vehicle registration certificate
- Temporary import permit, valid for a maximum of 30 days, is processed free at the border.
If the car is not in your name You will need a written permission before a notary that appears as owner on the circulation card.
The person who drives the car crossing the border to Guatemala must be the same one that drives it when leaving the country.
Procedures with the car:
- Seal the exit from Mexico: stop at the border post in Mexico to seal the exit. Sometimes the security fence for cars in the border booth of Mexico is open, you pass it and do not stamp it, and then back to Mexico it is a bit of a mess not to have the exit paper. But hey, everything is resolved in an understandable way.
- Fumigate the car: before reaching the border There is a booth where you must disinfect the car (price 17 quetzales). It delivers the role of fumigation at the border.
- Pay a tax in the border of 165 quetzales to pass the car, both cars and motorcycle. You pay in a small bank office that is next to where the paperwork is done. Then they put a sticker on the glass of the car.
- No car insurance is necessary in Guatemala, although I recommend you always travel with car insurance. Insurance from other countries are not valid. In the banks they make insurance for a year, the truth is that they do not make the insurance much easier. Caution: On Sundays and holidays some services where they manage insurance are closed.
Can you cross in a rental car?
Yes you can, but there are very few companies from Mexico that give the option of crossing to Belize and Guatemala by rental car. American Car Rental If you do, you must pay an approximate extra of 180 usd for this procedure to the car company. Another company where you can also rent, as noted by a traveler in comments on this blog, is Price Car Rentals, and perform the free procedure. Surely there are other car rental companies, but I do not know.
Testimony of César, the traveler thanks to whom I can share this information with you: "Of course we had done the paper before a notary that the car rental company (America car rental) let me drive the car to Guatemala. That cost me an extra 180 American dollars and one more day of rental car to have my car blocked and to do the paperwork before I picked up the car. "
César and his partner Goizalde recently traveled by rental car from Cancun, crossing from Chiapas to Guatemala, then to Belize and from Belize to Mexico again to leave from the international airport of Cancun. They made the loop whole for these three Mayan territories of Mexico, Guatemala y Belize. Many thanks to César for giving me back the help I could give him for his trip. This spirit of traveling help from which I have benefited so many times in my travels, is the reason to be writing this blog.
For me it is a pleasure to be able to help other travelers, and when you meet guys like César, much more. Thank you, it is pending to invite you to a chela and give you a hug.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.