The Republic of Mexico borders Belize and Guatemala. More and more travelers are crossing to Belize from Mexico, a simple border and a country with a lot to offer. Let's see what you need to cross to Belize.
Mexico limits in the south with Guatemala y Belize. Belize is less than 6 hours by road from Cancun, the main entrance to the Yucatan Peninsula. More and more travelers cross to Belize and are surprised by this country of great cultural and natural wealth.
Mexico and Belize they share a total of 278 kilometers, 193 on the mainland and 85 on the maritime boundary.
Content of the article
- Mexico Border (Chetumal / Santa Elena) - Belize (Corozal):
- The Free Zone of Belize:
- General requirements to cross the border:
- Do you need a passport?
- Do you need a visa to enter Belize? Rates
- Do you need a visa to enter Mexico? Rates
- Cross the border by public transport:
- Cross the Mexico-Belize border by car:
- What roles do you need to cross?
- Procedures with car to cross the border:
- Can you cross into Belize by rental car from Mexico?
- Cross the maritime border from Mexico to Belize:
- Accommodation near the Mexico-Belize border:
Mexico Border (Chetumal / Santa Elena) - Belize (Corozal):
This border unites the city of Chetumal, capital of the state of Quintana Roo de Mexico, which is 10 kilometers from the border, with Corozal, about 13 kilometers from the side of Belize.
The border between Mexico and Belize can be crossed by by land and sea. Opens every day of the year, I think I remember that 24 hours. I do not recommend traveling at night, if you go in your own car, leave the road at dusk. The main reason is the poor lighting of the roads, in addition to the usual security you must take on your trips.
I recommend you: whenever you can cross borders early in the morning. or mid-morning, avoiding Sundays and holidays, where some services may be closed. Carry one photocopy of the papers that you are going to require the car at the border.
In all border crossings there are money changers or money changers. You can exchange a small amount with them if you do not have local currency, or wait to find a bank or exchange house on your way. I do not usually exchange money at the borders.
The Free Zone of Belize:
Between Mexico and Belize, before crossing the border of Belize, there is the call Free zone, in Santa Elena. What is the Free Zone? It is a commercial zone free of taxes where the Mexican usually travels to buy at cheaper prices products such as alcohol, tires or brand clothing. To go here you do not need to do paperwork, just take your documentation (IFE / INE) in order, you do not need a passport. Many Mexicans enter the Free Zone, do their shopping and return.
General requirements to cross the border:
Do you need a passport?
The travelers we need passport valid for at least 90 days after the date of departure from Belize. It is always advisable to travel with your passport valid for 6 months.
Do you need a visa to enter Belize? Rates
Mexicans and Spaniards do not need visa. Check if your nationality needs a visa to enter Belize here. To entrance to Belize is not paid, you will do it to the leave the country, One 40 usd, if you have stayed more than 24 hours in the country.
Do you need a visa to enter Mexico? Rates
Countries that they do not need a visa to enter Mexico: click here. Spaniards, Argentines, Colombians, Peruvians, Brazilians, Chileans No. They need a visa. In Mexico you do not pay when you enter, yes you pay when leaving if you've been in Mexico for more than 7 days: 332 mxn (Mexican pesos) per person leaving by land. Attention: for the chaotic and fluid transit to the Free Zone, sometimes you jump without wanting the Mexican booth and they do not seal you (ring) when leaving, you simply pass the exit, you will not be the first. In fact, twice I have crossed from Mexico to Belize, they never sealed me the entry or exit from Mexico. They have modernized the border Mexican booths, surely this helps with the confusions.
If you return to your country by plane from Mexico, you will have to pay the airport departure fees (55 euros) provided that a period of more than 7 days of stay in the country has elapsed.
Cross the border by public transport:
- BY BUS: The main transportation company in this area of Mexico is ADO. This company has direct services to Belize from Mérida and from Cancún. With stops in Playa del Carmen and Tulum in Mexico, and with stops in Corozal, Orange Walk and Belize City across the border. It is a comfortable way to cross the border. From Chetumal There are other bus companies that cross the border, in the bus terminal you find options. There is also the option of a bus that takes you Tikal. At Guatemala.
If you go to Tikal this company has buses from Chetumal, Bacalar or Riviera Maya to Flores (Guatemala)
- IN COLLECTIONS: a few blocks from the terminal, there is collective van transport, somewhat more uncomfortable but cheaper. It leaves you at the border where you must cross on your own and catch another bus on the other side. The buses go to Corozal, Orange Walk and Belize City
- IN PRIVATE TAXI: is another option to cross the border, the taxi driver must pay for car insurance in Belize. I honestly do not know the prices of this option, it depends on the route you want to make. From Chetumal to the border a taxi charges between 70 and 90 pesos.
Cross the Mexico-Belize border by car:
It tienes private car It is very easy to cross to Belize.
What roles do you need to cross?
- driver's license
- the circulation card / vehicle registration certificate
If the car is not in your name you will need a written permission of the one that appears like owner in the card of circulation
Procedures with car to cross the border:
- Seal the exit from Mexico: stop at the Mexico border post to seal the exit. Sometimes the border booth of Mexico is not very clear and you do not seal. I have accidentally skipped it more than once, and then from the beginning it is somewhat confusing for not having the exit role. As the Free Zone exists, the border booth of Mexico is somewhat blurred.
- Fumigate the car: before reaching the border, there is a house on the right where you should disinfect the car (price: 100 mxn), something that you are forced to do. Deliver the paper at the border. You must also fumigate your car in Mexico.
- You need a circulation insurance: after crossing the border you must take out mandatorily un circulation insurance. There is a booth (it is located about 500 meters from the border) where you must take out your vehicle insurance. The approximate prices are: per day-USD 6, 7 days-USD 15, one month-USD 30. It is mandatory to have this insurance, if the police stop you (they surely will) and you do not carry it, you will have problems. The insurance is visible in the car, on the front window. Caution: on Sundays the booth where they manage insurance is closed. We ended up getting it in Orange Walk, waking up the one who runs the gas station there, who also processes the paper, but it was a sacatiempos doing so. Things of travel, you know that in the end everything is resolved with desire.
Can you cross into Belize by rental car from Mexico?
Yes you can, but there are very few companies from Mexico that give the option of crossing into Belize by rental car. American Car Rental if it does, you will have to pay an extra approximately 180 usd for this procedure to the car company. Another company where you can also rent, as a traveler noted in comments, is Price Car Rentals, and carry out the free process. Sure there are other car rental companies, but I don't know.
Cross the maritime border from Mexico to Belize:
Another way to cross to Belize is by sea. Belizean ferries depart from the port of Chetumal. I leave the page website where do you get this information
Accommodation near the Mexico-Belize border:
From Cancun to the border we have an 6 hours of travel by car. Borders, as you know, we recommend crossing always day and tomorrow. An excellent option, whether you're going to to cross on a trip to Belize as if you are going to the Free Zoneit's stay in Chetumal.
Chetumal is only 10 kilometers from the border. It is a coastal city with all the services you will require as a traveler. The accommodation offer is wide, with hotels with good value for money, which we like. We have stayed several times in Chetumal.
I leave you the best deals on accommodation in Chetumal, you can find your ideal hotel here.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.