The Costa Esmeralda road links the towns of Progreso with Dzilam de Bravo, a truly beautiful stretch of the northern coast of Yucatan. This is the coast of the captaleños of Mérida, a privileged place.
Although the prized and world-famous Riviera Maya is just over 3 hours and a half from Mérida, many Meridans prefer to stay close to the tranquility and the good living offered by their Yucatecan coast. Undoubtedly This area is more Mexican and authentic than the glamorous Riviera Maya.
The majority will go to Quintana Roo to know its beautiful beaches, but for vacation, they choose their favorite coast: Emerald coast.
Costa Esmeralda, the Yucatan Coast
From the capital Mérida The roads to the most usual destinations of the capital come out like veins. The scarce 38 kilometers that separate Mérida from the coastal town of Progreso are covered by the best asphalt on the entire Peninsula.
This indicates the preferences of the Meridan looking for sea and beach on vacation.
Meet the 9 places we recommend close to Merida
Discover Costa Esmeralda in Yucatan
Costa Esmeralda is full of condominiums and houses where the capitaleños escape. The owners mainly occupy their homes during Holy Week and the months of July and August, the rest of the year they are usually rented as a holiday home for days or months. Until this desired coast they fly like migratory birds a large community of Canadians and Americans looking for better temperatures from November to April than those of his homeland.
So on this coast you will find a curious mix of locals and foreigners delighted to enjoy the warm temperatures, the beaches, the walks, the food and the landscapes. In this coast springs the small Florida of Yucatan.
Unlike locals, many foreigners rent their homes in the months of July and August, so the offer of accommodation is constant during the year, on a coast that is usually occupied at 100% in high seasons.
What to visit in Costa Smeralda
The D27 road of Emerald coast joins the coastal town of Progreso to the small fishing village of Dzilam de Bravo. Are 82 kilometers along a dream road which covers several of the most requested coastal towns as a beach destination:
- Progress: the largest and most developed of the towns of Costa Esmeralda, with good fish and seafood restaurants on the beach. Its monstrous pier receives international cruises.
- Chicxulub: This population is known to be the epicenter where the meteorite that caused the Chicxulub crater, likely causing the extinction of dinosaurs, impacted. Although there is no evidence that you can see, this town of 5000 inhabitants is very cozy. They opened a museum about the crater.
- Uaymitún: another of the coastal developments most prized by locals and foreigners. Near Uaymitún there is a viewpoint on the road that allows you to contemplate the swamp area, where the pink flamingo arrives.
- Telcach Port: of the towns that delight those who seek rest and tranquility in their vacations. Its less than 2000 inhabitants, its beaches, houses of rent and proximity to interesting points of the Peninsula, make it very attractive, like the rest of Costa Esmeralda.
- San Crisanto: From this quiet fishing village they make excursions through the mangrove area, a truly captivating landscape. In addition it offers as in the rest lodging and houses of rents.
- Santa Clara: Very similar to the other towns of Costa Esmeralda, this small town offers holiday homes that are filled in peak seasons.
- Dzilam de Bravo: despite not having a beach in the village, It is known for its walks through Bocas de Dzilam and the famous water hole Xbuya Ha. A very interesting area to discover, without a doubt.
Near to Telcach Puerto are the Mayan ruins of X'Cambó, a stop that I recommend on your way. Before the entrance to the archeological zone you pass through the Saltworks of Dzemul, where you can walk respecting the delicate ecosystem of the place.
All these peoples are united by the beautiful road of Costa Esmeralda, one of those that gives pleasure to drive, with beautiful landscapes that will make you stop at some other point. On one side, the sea, and on the other, the swamp, wetlands and salt flats, natural habitat of pink flamingo, herons and hundreds of other birds that you can enjoy.
From Emerald Coast one falls in love with its tranquility and variety of unique and beautiful places. Choose one of the towns to stay and discover the area, you will not be disappointed by this corner of the world. Those who like to drive, do not think about it.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.