Cozumel is one of the most sought after destinations in the Mexican Caribbean, this island off Playa del Carmen fulfills the delights of visitors to the Riviera Maya. How to go by ferry to Cozumel? We give you the necessary information.
Cozumel is located at 18 kilometers off the coast of Playa del Carmen, a beautiful island that made Jacques-Yves Cousteau fashionable with his immersions in the fantastic reefs of the island. Thousands of divers arrive here to enjoy its crystal clear waters, marine fauna and the cliffs. It's a beauty to dive in Cozumel, and if you're not a diver you can enjoy the place in many other ways. The island is large, and it is the southern part that has development, the north is very wild and more complicated access.
Cozumel has been able to accommodate the needs of tourism, being one of the most requested destinations in the Caribbean. It is very easy to visit it on your own or on a tourist excursion. If Cozumel is your vacation destination from the airport of Cancun You have the possibility of arriving by plane to the island.
Content of the article
TRAJECT IN FERRY TO COZUMEL:
DURATION OF THE TRAJECT AND SCHEDULES: the journey of 40 minutes that joins Playa del Carmen with Cozumel has a wide schedule, leaving before the 7 in the morning and returning the last ferry around the 10 of the night.
TYPES OF TICKET: easy trip (one way) or round (round trip). Companies offer a small discount if you buy the round trip.
WHERE DO I TAKE THE FERRY TO COZUMEL?
The ferries to Cozumel depart from the Playa del Carmen terminal. It is very central and is close to where you leave public transport, you will have no difficulty in finding the place. The ticket offices to buy the tickets They are just before the dock where the ferry leaves for Cozumel. FERRY LOCATION: 1 South and 5ta Avenue, next to the sea.
To pass the car you must go to the Calica-Venado terminal
COMPANIES IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN TO CROSS A COZUMEL:
- ULTRAMAR: It is the most comfortable company in services and schedules. Ferries leave almost every half hour, TICKET PRICE: 390 mxn round trip (round trip), simple 200 pesos. 140 pesos for Quintana Roo with official identification. Children from 0 to 12 months do not pay. From 12 months to 1,20 height cm pay 130 single weights, and 250 the round one. 15 years and older adult rate. PAYMENT TYPE: You can pay in pesos, dollars or with a card. Check the schedules and prices on its official website
- WINJET: the other company that operates from the pier of Playa del Carmen, have a discount if you buy online. Services and prices similar to the previous company TICKET PRICE: check the schedules and prices on its official website
COMPANY IN CALICA-VENADO TO CROSS COZUMEL:
- TRANSCARIBE: This terminal is for crossing with vehicle to Cozumel. It is not in Playa del Carmen, it is located on the road Tulum - Playa del Carmen Km. 282 + 600 next to Xcaret Park, 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen. TICKET PRICE: check the schedules and prices on its official website
PARKING AT THE TERMINALS:
If you drive by car Playa del Carmen you can leave the car in the parking lot which is near the terminal. If there is no place offer other parking in the area or you can park on the street and walk a little more. It is always safer in a parking lot, although personally I have never had an incidence of theft by leaving it on the street.
GO IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION UNTIL THE FERRY TERMINALS:
If you are staying in an all-inclusive hotel in Riviera Maya or Cancun, you must take a bus or a collective van to Playa del Carmen. The terminals of these transports in both cases are 10 minutes walk, so it is close. I leave the link that can be useful on how to move in public transport by Riviera Maya.
TOURS TO THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL:
Cozumel is to be a couple of nights knowing the best spots and beaches such as Chankanaab Park, archaeological site of San Gervasio, Punta Sur, Punta Celarain Lighthouse, Punta Molas, Punta Chiqueros, Palancar National Park and beaches with services and comfort for visitors and locals such as Playa Azul , Playa Uvas, Playa San Francisco, Playa Mia or Mr. Sancho's. There are many other lonely beaches without services, just watch with the strong waves and currents of the island.
In the north you must go with a vehicle prepared for the dirt tracks, it is the wildest part of Cozumel.
There are different ways of visiting Cozumel, each one of us has our way of traveling, so I explain it to you so you can choose yours. You must bear in mind that where the ferry leaves you in Cozumel are not the best beaches and places to visit. The island is large so you must move in a vehicle, that is why it makes it easier for many to visit it on tour.
- FOR FREE: As we have explained is this article you can cross and go free to Cozumel, from there you can move by taxi or rent a car.
- TOURS THAT SELL YOU: In the vicinity of the terminals you will see staff dressed in colorful t-shirts (T-shirts) selling tours, both on the beach side and arriving in Cozumel.
- ON EXCURSION FROM YOUR HOTEL: Many choose the convenience of buying a tour where you visit the attractions of Cozumel.
If you are interested in booking a tour I leave the agency GET YOUR GUIDE that offers good excursions on the island of Cozumel, You can buy directly with them from the blog.easily and safely, cancel up to 24 hours before the tour. It is a great option to get to know the island, for sure you find the perfect excursion for you.
If you are looking to go to El Cielo beach in Cozumel, where to swim among starfish in crystal clear waters, I recommend you book this excursion. As you can see Cozumel has a lot to offer, but this beach is special.REEFS IN COZUMEL EL CIELO AND PLAYA MÍA
WHERE TO SLEEP IN COZUMEL:
There are quite different areas in Cozumel, depending on whether you want to be in the village within reach of all the services or in a more remote accommodation looking for tranquility. So for those who want the convenience of walking and enjoying the nightlife, I recommend the hotels in the center of the island, where the ferry arrives. If you are going to disconnect there hotels and houses in the southern tip of the island that offer you tranquility.
I leave you hotel deals in Cozmel in case you want to make your reservation.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, towers and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.