Cozumel is one of the most sought after destinations in the Mexican Caribbean, this island off Playa del Carmen fulfills the delights of visitors to the Riviera Maya. How to go by ferry to Cozumel? We give you the necessary information.
Cozumel is located at 18 kilometers off the coast of Playa del Carmen, a beautiful island made fashionable by Jacques-Yves Cousteau with his dives in the fantastic reefs of the island. Thousands of divers arrive here to enjoy its crystal clear waters, marine fauna and the cliffs. Diving in Cozumel is a beauty, and if you are not a diver you can enjoy the place in many other ways.
The island is large, and the southern part is the most developed, the north is very wild and has more difficult access.
Cozumel has been able to accommodate the needs of tourism, being one of the most requested destinations in the Caribbean. It is very easy to visit it on your own or on a tourist excursion. If Cozumel is your vacation destination from the airport of Cancun You have the possibility of arriving by plane to the island.
We live in the area since 2007, we are updated and we can help you on your trip
Content of the article
- TRAJECT IN FERRY TO COZUMEL:
- WHERE DOES THE FERRY COME TO COZUMEL?
- COMPANIES IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN TO CROSS IN FERRY TO COZUMEL:
- COMPANY IN CALICA-VENADO TO CROSS COZUMEL:
- PARKING AT THE TERMINALS:
- GO BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO THE FERRY TERMINALS TO COZUMEL:
- HOW TO MOVE AND WHAT TO VISIT ON THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL
- What to visit in Cozumel
- How to get around in Cozumel
- TOURS TO THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL
- WHERE TO SLEEP IN COZUMEL:
TRAJECT IN FERRY TO COZUMEL:
DURATION OF THE TRAJECT AND SCHEDULES: the journey of 40 minutes that joins Playa del Carmen with Cozumel has a wide schedule, leaving before the 7 in the morning and returning the last ferry around the 10 of the night.
TYPES OF TICKET: easy trip (one way) or round (round trip). Companies offer a small discount if you buy the round trip.
WHERE DOES THE FERRY COME TO COZUMEL?
The ferries to Cozumel depart from the Playa del Carmen terminal. It is very central and is close to where you leave public transport, you will have no difficulty in finding the place. The ticket offices to buy the tickets They are just before the dock where the ferry leaves for Cozumel. FERRY LOCATION: 1 South and 5ta Avenue, next to the sea.
To pass the car you must go to the Calica-Venado terminal
COMPANIES IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN TO CROSS IN FERRY A COZUMEL:
- ULTRAMAR: It is the most comfortable company in services and schedules. Ferries leave almost every half hour, TICKET PRICE: 390 mxn round trip (round trip), simple 200 pesos. 140 pesos for Quintana Roo with official identification. Children from 0 to 12 months do not pay. From 12 months to 1,20 height cm pay 130 single weights, and 250 the round one. 15 years and older adult rate. PAYMENT TYPE: You can pay in pesos, dollars or with a card. Check the schedules and prices on its official website
- WINJET: the other company that operates from the pier of Playa del Carmen, have a discount if you buy online. Services and prices similar to the previous company TICKET PRICE: check the schedules and prices on its official website
COMPANY IN CALICA-VENADO TO CROSS COZUMEL:
- TRANSCARIBE: This terminal is for crossing with vehicle to Cozumel. It is not in Playa del Carmen, it is located on the road Tulum - Playa del Carmen Km. 282 + 600 next to Xcaret Park, 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen. TICKET PRICE: check the schedules and prices on its official website
PARKING AT THE TERMINALS:
If you drive by car Playa del Carmen you can leave the car in the parking lot which is located near the terminal. If there is no place they offer other parking lots in the area or you can park on the street and walk a little more.
It is always safer in a parking lot, although personally I have never had a theft incident for leaving it on the street.
GO BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO THE FERRY TERMINALS TO COZUMEL:
If you are staying in an all-inclusive hotel in Riviera Maya or Cancun, you must take a bus or a collective van to Playa del Carmen. The terminals of these transports in both cases are 10 minutes walk, so it is close. I leave the link that can be useful on how to move in public transport by Riviera Maya.
HOW TO MOVE AND WHAT TO VISIT ON THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL
Cozumel is to be a couple of nights minimum if you have time. You will have time to know the best spots and beaches. A day in Cozumel is not bad either, it gives you time to savor the best of the place. Let's see what the island has to offer.
What to visit in Cozumel
The most visited places are Chankanaab Park, San Gervasio archaeological zone, Punta Sur, Punta Celarain Lighthouse, Punta Molas, Punta Chiqueros, Palancar National Park.
There beaches with services and comfort for visitors and locals like Playa Azul, Playa Uvas, Playa San Francisco, Playa Mía or Mr. Sancho's. There are many other solitary beaches without services, just watch out for the strong waves and currents of the island.
- PALANCAR BEACH: the entrance is free, it is public access. There are several restaurants and they offer chaise lounges or snorkel equipment rental.
- SOUTH POINT: the entrance is 288 pesos per person, you have all kinds of services to enjoy the place.
- CHANKANAAB PARK: the entrance is 414 pesos per person, the same is a place that offers all kinds of services.
- HEAVEN: the famous reef is about 800 meters from the coast, so you go by boat. Tours to here leave from the San Miguel pier, near where the ferry arrives at Cozumel. You can hire it before.
- SAN GERVASIO: It is the most visited archaeological zone of the 10 vestiges that exist on the island. the entrance per person is 183 pesos. Complete information of the San Gervasio archaeological zone
How to get around in Cozumel
In the north you must go with a vehicle prepared for the dirt tracks, it is the wildest part of Cozumel. For the rest of the island, any car is fine. You can also explore the island by bicycle.
There are different ways of visiting Cozumel, each one of us has our way of traveling, so I explain it to you so you can choose yours. You must bear in mind that where the ferry leaves you in Cozumel are not the best beaches and places to visit.
The island is large so you must move around in a vehicle, which is why it is easy for many to visit it on tour.
- FREE BY TAXI, RENTING CAR OR SCOOTER: As we have explained in this article, you can cross and go to Cozumel on your own, from there you can move by taxi or rent a car. car rental per day is about 1200 pesos for 24 hours. IMPORTANT: Bring your credit card and driver's license. Taxis are not cheap, I do not know reference prices, only transport from the airport by taxi.
- FROM THE AIRPORT: Cozumel airport to downtown charge from 90 pesos per person. If you travel the kilometer from the airport to the highway, a taxi takes you downtown for 65 pesos.
- TOURS THAT SELL YOU: In the vicinity of the terminals you will see staff dressed in colorful t-shirts (t-shirts) selling tours, both on the beach side and arriving in Cozumel. Boat tours depart from the San Miguel pier. They sell complete tours with Palancar, El Cielo, Cielito and Colombia from 750 pesos per person to 1200 pesos, look for your option and luck haggling 😉
- ON EXCURSION FROM YOUR HOTEL: many choose the convenience of buying a tour from your hotel.
TOURS TO THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL
If you are interested in booking a tour I leave you the agency GET YOUR GUIDE that offers good excursions around the island of Cozumel. You can buy directly with them from the blog.easily and safely, cancel up to 24 hours before the tour. It is a great option to get to know the island, for sure you find the perfect excursion for you.
If you are looking to go to El Cielo beach in Cozumel, where to swim among starfish in crystal clear waters, I recommend you book this excursion. As you can see Cozumel has a lot to offer, but this beach is special.REEFS IN COZUMEL EL CIELO AND PLAYA MÍA
WHERE TO SLEEP IN COZUMEL:
There are quite different areas in Cozumel, depending on whether you want to be in the village within reach of all the services or in a more remote accommodation looking for tranquility. So for those who want the convenience of walking and enjoying the nightlife, I recommend the hotels in the center of the island, where the ferry arrives. If you are going to disconnect there hotels and houses in the southern tip of the island that offer you tranquility.
I leave you hotel deals in Cozmel in case you want to make your reservation.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.