Cobá is one of the most important Mayan settlements on the Peninsula. Nohoch Mul is the highest pyramid in Quintana Roo, an attic with fantastic views.
Cobá lives under the long shadow Chichen Itza and Tulum, the two most visited archeological sites from Riviera Maya. Despite coming dozens of coaches and tourist vans every day from Riviera Maya, It is a place that you can visit alone leaving the tour schedules.
I recommend you sleep in the town of Cobá, this area deserves a day to know the beautiful surroundings, and so you can enjoy the destination with the calm it deserves. Visit the ruins early in the morning, you will be almost alone in the temple.
Content of the article
Location of Cobá:
It is located 45 km from Tulum, one of the most attractive coastal towns of the Riviera Maya. The town retains its calm and Mayan essence despite its proximity to Riviera Maya. It is surrounded by five lagoons, the most colorful is the Cobá lagoon, at the foot of the archaeological zone. There are crocodiles in the lagoon, they are not difficult to see.
There are several restaurants near the lagoon and there is cheap lodging in the town. I like to sleep here, this area has many attractions.
Meet the 5 archaeological zones safety pins of Quintana Roo
How to get to Cobá:
- tour with agency: from Riviera Maya the agencies offer tours, the great bulk of tourists arrive like this.
- renting car: From Tulum you take the 109 road towards Valladolid, well indicated. Many travelers are encouraged to drive through the tranquil Yucatan Peninsula.
- collective transport: Cobá has a special situation with the subject of collective transport, yes there is, but not much. From Tulum almost force to go by taxi, complicating a round trip from Tulum. Big bus also arrives from Tulum and Valladolid. Later I leave you schedules and prices to arrive by public transport.
A little history of Coba:
Its strategic location allowed it to develop actively for years and acquire the power of the area.
There is evidence of the settlement of Cobá (chopped water) from 100-300 BC to its decline from 1000 to 1450 d. C .. Few cities on the peninsula have such an extensive chronology, where they always played an important role.
It came to have a network that communicated with more than 50 internal and external roads to other cities such as Yaxunah or Chichen Itza. There is evidence of commercial exchange with remote places such as Tikal o Calakmul, or with other cultures such as Teotihuacán, in the central area of Mexico.
Mayan stelae in Coba:
We are before one of the most important Mayan cities in northeastern Mexico. A city of marked lineage of ruling women, according to the stelae found. The stelae They are fundamental for the information they provide to the whole map of the Mayan civilization.
In the so-called Macanxoc area are some of the most relevant stelae in the Mayan world, such as the 1 wake, with a long count of the largest number found in a wake.
Tour of Cobá:
The different groups of the archaeological zone are united by pleasant shaded paths. Early in the morning we have come to see monkeys and beautiful birds.
- GRUPO COBÁ: past the access, first visit the call Coba Group, it is on the right. Once seen, you will see that in the entrance they offer rent a bicycle or take you in tricitaxi for the enclosure.
- NOHOCH MUL: What nobody wants to miss is its main pyramid, a building of 42 meters high, the most precious attic. Nohoch Mul is one and a half kilometers from the entrance.
- GRUPO MACANXOC: On the road to Nohoch Mul, you find the detour to this group, where there are steles. It is the least visited group within the enclosure.
The Pyramid of Nohoch Mul:
Nohoch Mul It is the tourist star of Coba, one of the most impressive rooftops of the Yucatan Peninsula.
From the top of The 42 meters of Nohoch Mul You can see the lagoon, unmissable views from the best attic in the area. All the elevations and mounds covered with weeds that you can see from this fantastic viewpoint, are ancient Mayan settlements.
The effort of the climb is worth it, although I warn you that it usually costs more the steep descent. Nohoch Mul is the highest structure of the Yucatan Peninsula, not counting Calakmul.
Scale the 9 Mayan pyramids highest in Quintana Roo, Yucatán and Campeche
En Cobá You can enjoy a great city with structures, details, ball games, stelae and architectural ensembles of great value and beauty. You will discover it among the fantastic jungle of Yucatan, enjoying nature while walking, cycling or whatever you want.
Cobá, archaeological siteLOCATION:Cobá is 47 km from Tulum and 60 from Valladolid.
SCHEDULE AND SERVICES: Open from 8 to 17 daily hours. You can pay an extra and enter before dawn. They do not sell drinks or food inside. There are services at the entrance.
PRICE ENTRY: 70 pesos. For 240 weights you can enter from 5 to 7: 30 in the morning and visit it. PARKING LOT: 30 mxn per car. On Sundays the entrance of the INAH is free for Mexicans and permanent residents. Access to archaeological sites is free every day for children under 13 years, students, teachers and senior citizens with valid credentials.
RENT BIKE: You can tour the area by bike or tricitaxi. From the entrance to the pyramid there are less than 2 kilometers. Rent bike-taxi son unos 150 mxn and a 50 bike mxn per person.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? Cobá arrives to the collective transport from Playa del Carmen (9, 10: 30) and Valladolid (8: 15, 10: 30, 12, 18 and 19 hours). Taxi up to 4 people Tulum-Cobá over 450 pesos.
WHAT TO BRING? Light and light clothing, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen, closed shoes better to climb the pyramid and some water always goes well.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.