The population of Homún is an absolute paradise for cenote lovers. Here dozens of cenotes await you to visit, among them the famous cenotes of Santa Bárbara.
We have visited Homún on several occasions, so we are going to know different places. Believe me there is a lot to visit in Homún and surroundings: between cenotes, caves and lagoons you have a nature festival.
Complete guide of the cenotes of Homún in Yucatán: how to go, which to visit, prices and where to sleep
And now it is when I confess and say that cenote Santa Barbara called me little attention for the tourist model they have mounted. To the other cenotes of Homún you arrive in tricitaxi with the premises or by your account in car. Cenote Santa Bárbara operates a private business, let's get to know them and I'll explain you better.
Content of the article
How to go to the Santa Barbara cenote
Cenote Santa Bárbara is in Homún, at the west entrance. You see it perfectly indicated, along the way you will see different mototaxis that are placed on the bumpers to sell you your tour. If you go to cenote Santa Barbara you do not need that service, you can arrive on your own.
Homún is 48 kilometers from Merida, a one-hour drive.
Cenote Santa Bárbara
- WHAT WAITS FOR YOU IN CENOTE SANTA BÁRBARA? A tour of three cenotes that are in the same place. There is not much distance between them, maybe in total it is about 4 kilometers at the most.
- HOW TO DO THE ROUTE? The tour can be done by bicycle or truck. The truck is based on the old rail carriage that was used for henequen, the product known as Yucatan green gold. The wagons are horse-drawn and have an awning to cover you from the sun. The paths that lead you between one cenote and another are perfectly equipped and well marked. There are parking for bicycles and stops for those who go in trucks, showers for you to spend a water before entering the cenotes and perfectly comfortable accesses.
- Prices: the tour of the three cenotes, either by bike or by truck, has a cost of 150 weights, with the rent of the vests included. A popular price that covers the services with more. You can take the package with food, and you get it at 220 pesos. In the case that you do not pay the package with food and then you feel like eating there, you have the menu to choose what you like.
- SERVICES: the Santa Bárbara tourist inn has excellent facilities, with changing rooms, lockers, restrooms, rest area, parking and restaurant. They also give you Wi-Fi service, they know the importance of the internet and to post where you are.
- IN HIS FAVOR: One of the reasons why Santa Bárbara is so visited and popular is knowing perfectly combine the comfort and enjoyment of the tourist with the quality of their services at a good price.
- AGAINST HIM: There are always people, especially on Sundays. Many excursions from Merida arrive with tourists from the cruise ships from Progreso, the drip of agencies offering these cenotes is inevitable. Another against is that we do not sympathize with activities where animals are used for the entertainment of the human being. Say in your favor that you have bicycles in case you do not like to go horseback riding.
Tour of the three cenotes of Santa Bárbara
The three cenotes of Santa Barbara are very beautiful, especially two of them. Something to note is that you can see the different types of cenotes: one cave, one semi-cave and the last is open. All three are crystal clear waters, with easy access. Be careful not to slip or run down the wooden ramps, and carefully climb the stairs. This makes it ideal for families with children and seniors.
It is the first to be visited, a cave cenote that is accessed by stairs that go under an aspen to reach the wooden platform. The poplar is one of the trees that indicate the presence of cenotes. Surely the Cascabel cenote is the least spectacular of the three, the level is high. I did not take the photos with the camera, but with the cell phone, so I regret not having put my best photographic effort in this cenote.
Following the route you will arrive at the Chasikín, a semi-cave cenote with some roots, entrance and printing stalactites. Very cool, with very comfortable wooden stairs with direct access in the middle of the cenote, you get a view of the place going down that lights up your face.
CENOTE XOCH ':
For desserts this beautiful open cenote awaits you, with a stairway entrance carved in stone that leads you to the mouth of the Xoch 'cenote. An impressive poplar crowns the diameter of the mouth of the sky. The birds that approach the cenote are an extra gift in your visit.
Cenote Santa Bárbara is a park made with great pleasure. Personally I like to cenote in another way, but I really enjoyed the beautiful nature of the three cenotes. We certainly see that his popularity is more than deserved.
Remember that in our CENOTES MENU you find many other freshwater treasures. Take care of the environment and follow the rules of the good cenotero that we leave below in the practical sheet.
Cenote Santa Bárbara, cenotes
LOCATION: Cenote Santa Bárbara is located at the west entrance of Homún. Homún is at 50 km east of Mérida. If you go from Mérida take the 59 street to the peripheral of the city, follow, the sign for the road to Chichen Itza, after 5 km there is a detour to Acanceh. Arrives at the village of Acanceh, then crosses Cuzamá and 5 km is Homún.
HOW TO GET IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION? You can go intrucks(buses) second class collective (vans) that cross the 180 highway leaving Mérida, Valladolid or Piste. Bus leaves from the Northeastern terminal of Mérida, 67 x 52 and 50; 7: 45, 9: 15, 10: 45, 12: 30 and 14: 30 schedules; It costs 23 pesos. Another option is to go by bus, leave when they are filled in front of the same terminal, on 67 street and charge 25 pesos. They take between 1 hour and a little more the big bus. From Piste or Valladolid also arrive collectives.
SCHEDULE AND SERVICES: from 9 to 18 daily. There are toilets, showers, lockers, handicraft sales and restaurant at the entrance. Official website of Santa Barbara cenote.
PRICE: 150 mxn (Mexican pesos) the tour of the three cenotes by bicycle or truck. include vests. With food are 220 pesos.
WHAT TO BRING? Light and light clothes, well tied hat so that it does not fly, closed and comfortable shoes to protect you from insect bites, some water always goes well. The swimsuit and a towel or pareo to dry after the bath. It is a good option to wear a diving mask to better appreciate the place.
THE LAW OF THE GOOD CENOTERO: To avoid contaminating the delicate water of the cenotes, do not use body creams, or protectors, or repellents before entering them. Do not hang from the roots of the trees or touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.