The population of Homún is an absolute paradise for cenote lovers. Here dozens of cenotes await you to visit, among them the famous cenotes of Santa Bárbara.
We have visited Homún on several occasions, so we are going to know different places. Believe me there is a lot to visit in Homún and surroundings: between cenotes, caves and lagoons you have a nature festival.
Complete guide of the cenotes of Homún in Yucatán: how to go, which to visit, prices and where to sleep
And now is when I confess and say that the Santa Bárbara cenote did not attract my attention due to the tourist model they have set up. You can get to most of the cenotes in Homún by motorcycle taxi with the locals or on your own by car.
Cenote Santa Bárbara works as a tourist hostel where you visit 3 cenotes. Let's meet him and I'll explain better.
How to go to the Santa Barbara cenote
Cenote Santa Bárbara is in Homún, at the west entrance, coming from Mérida. You see it perfectly indicated. Along the way you will see different motorcycle taxis that are placed on top to sell you their tour. If you go to Cenote Santa Bárbara you do not need this service, you can get there on your own.
Homún is 48 kilometers from Mérida, a journey of one 1 by car.
HOW TO GO TO HOMÚN BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:
From Mérida the bus leaves (medium van) from the central neighborhood (calle 52 x 65 y 67). Schedules from Mérida to Homún starting at 6 in the morning, last departure at 5:30 pm. From Homún to Mérida, the first departure is at 5:30 in the morning and the last between 5 and 6 in the afternoon. Price: 34 pesos per person.
The schedules of the buses are not very exact, they leave when they are full. It is a very busy route, so it is easy for the bus to fill up quickly. The tour is approximately 1 hour.
Once you arrive in Homún you must take a motorcycle taxi to the Santa Bárbara cenotes. Walking and the walk under the sun is a little heavy.
Cenote Santa Bárbara
- WHAT WAITS FOR YOU IN CENOTE SANTA BÁRBARA? A tour of three cenotes that are in the same place. There is not much distance between them, maybe in total it is about 4 kilometers at the most.
- HOW TO DO THE ROUTE? The tour can be done by bicycle or truck. The truck is based on the old rail carriage that was used for henequen, the product known as Yucatan green gold. The wagons are horse-drawn and have an awning to cover you from the sun. The paths that lead you between one cenote and another are perfectly equipped and well marked. There are parking for bicycles and stops for those who go in trucks, showers for you to spend a water before entering the cenotes and perfectly comfortable accesses.
- Prices: the tour of the three cenotes, either by bike or by truck, has a cost of 150 weights, with the rent of the vests included. A popular price that covers the services with more. You can take the package with food, and you get it at 220 pesos. In the case that you do not pay the package with food and then you feel like eating there, you have the menu to choose what you like.
- SERVICES: the Santa Bárbara tourist inn has excellent facilities, with changing rooms, lockers, restrooms, rest area, parking and restaurant. They also give you Wi-Fi service, they know the importance of the internet and to post where you are.
- IN HIS FAVOR: One of the reasons why Santa Bárbara is so visited and popular is knowing perfectly combine the comfort and enjoyment of the tourist with the quality of their services at a good price.
- AGAINST HIM: There are always people, especially on Sundays. Many excursions from Merida arrive with tourists from the cruise ships from Progreso, the drip of agencies offering these cenotes is inevitable. Another against is that we do not sympathize with activities where animals are used for the entertainment of the human being. Say in your favor that you have bicycles in case you do not like to go horseback riding.
Tour of the three cenotes of Santa Bárbara
The three cenotes of Santa Bárbara are very beautiful, especially two of them. Something to highlight is that you can see the different types of cenotes: one cave, another semi-cave and the last one is open. All three have crystalline waters, with easy access.
Be careful not to slip or run down the wooden ramps, and carefully go down the stairs. This makes it ideal for families with children and older people.
It is the first to be visited, a cave cenote that is accessed by stairs that pass under a poplar tree to reach the wooden platform. The poplar is one of the indicator trees of the presence of cenotes. Surely the Cascabel cenote is the least spectacular of the three, the level is high.
I didn't take the photos with my camera, but with my cell phone, so I'm sorry I didn't put my best photographic effort into this cenote.
Following the route you will arrive at the Chasikín, a semi-cave cenote with some roots, entrance and printing stalactites. Very cool, with very comfortable wooden stairs with direct access in the middle of the cenote, you get a view of the place going down that lights up your face.
CENOTE XOCH ':
For desserts this beautiful open cenote awaits you, with a stairway entrance carved in stone that leads you to the mouth of the Xoch 'cenote. An impressive poplar crowns the diameter of the mouth of the sky. The birds that approach the cenote are an extra gift in your visit.
CENOTES HOMÚN MAP
Cenote Santa Bárbara is a park made with great pleasure. Personally I like to cenote in another way, but I really enjoyed the beautiful nature of the three cenotes. We certainly see that his popularity is more than deserved.
Take care of the environment and follow the rules of the place to keep the water in good condition.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.