The Xkeken and Samulá cenotes, known as those of Dzitnup, are one of the great tourist attractions near the beautiful colonial city of Valladolid. We explain how to get to the cenotes.
The Xkekén and Samulá cenotes share the same entrance, where the different bathroom services, changing rooms, craft shops are located, and where they offer you ATV tours to get to know the area.
Discover the Valladolid Cenotes prettier
Content of the article
HOW TO GO TO THE DZITNUP CENOTES
We visited two closed type cenotes (cavern) very close to Valladolid. In the community of Dzitnup, just 7 kilometers from the center of Valladolid, we find the Xkekén and Samulá cenotes.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: From Valladolid there are buses to Dzitnup. The collective taxi stop is half a block from the ADO bus station. It is the cheapest way to get there.
- ON YOUR OWN ACCOUNT: you can rent a bike or motorcycle in Valladolid to get around the area.
- PRIVATE TAXI: it is not expensive to go by private taxi from Valladolid either.
INFORMATION PARADOR TURÍSTICO XKEKEN, CENOTES DZITNUP
The Xkeken Tourist Parador is made up of two cenotes, and both are very beautiful.
Adults 225 pesos, children 200 pesos. INAPAM with identification 200 pesos. Residents in Valladolid adults, children and INAPAM (presenting identification) 125 pesos.
The price includes the entrance to both cenotes and life jacket.
From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day
- Restrooms, showers and lockers.
- At the entrance they sell drinks and food.
- There are craft shops.
- They offer circuits with ATVs
CENOTES XKEKEN, DZITNUP
The path on the left leads you to the Xkekén cenotes (pork or pork in Yucatec Maya). It receives this name when being discovered by a farmer who was looking for his pig, who had gone through a hole to the cenote, in search of water to drink.
Cenote Xkekén is a beautiful cavern cenote, easily accessible and illuminated. Ideal to go with family.
CENOTE SAMULA, DZITNUP
The path on the right leads you to Samulá, a cenote whose image is one of the best known and most impressive in the Yucatan Peninsula. This cenote has an upper opening: the best times to see the light go by in these types of cenotes it is at the solar zenith, varying from 12 to 14 hours during the year
Cenote Samula too es cavernous and easily accessible. Ideal for families. .
RECOMMENDATIONS TO VISIT DZITNUP CENOTES
Being close to Valladolid and being very beautiful cenotes, they usually receive quite a few visits. Sunday is the worst day to visit. If you go early in the morning you will be alone.
BRING A VISOR: you can wear a water mask to better appreciate the cenotes.
COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR: I recommend closed shoes to go down the stairs and not slip or trip.
CASH: payment in cash.
INSECT REPELLENT: if you are going to stay in the cenote, bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
THE SWIMSUIT: of course the swimsuit, and also a towel or pareo to dry off. Like a change of clothes to change as you schedule the day.
RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
CENOTES VALLADOLID MAPTo facilitate the exploration of cenotes in the surroundings of Valladolid We have made a map. We hope you enjoy it a lot 💙
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.