The cenotes in Mérida and surroundings are one of the most beautiful cenotes that you will enjoy in Yucatán. If you are looking for good cenote information, you came to the right place 🙂
We are great lovers of these natural wonders, we have cenotera soul. What are the cenotes, how to go, how many cenotes are there, prices of the cenotes? We present an informative map of the cenotes of Mérida and Yucatán so you can discover them on your own. We hope the blog will help you get to know the cenotes panorama.
In the years that we have lived on the Peninsula, the rise of the cenotes has been considerable, due to the tourist use we make of them. Cenotes are spaces that have been revalued and hopefully it is something that benefits them, although we already know the negative impact that we usually cause the human being.
Content of the article
- What are cenotes?
- How many cenotes are there in Yucatan
- Cenotes in Yucatan
- Where we found the cenotes in the Yucatan Peninsula
- Cenote prices in Yucatán
- Cenotes in Mérida city that you can visit
- The best 8 cenotes near Merida that I wouldn't miss
- 1- CENOTE NOH MOZÓN
- 2- CENOTE KANKIRIXCHÉ
- 3- CENOTES HOMÚN
- 4- CENOTE PAPAKAL
- 5- CENOTE YOKDZONOT
- 6- CENOTE X-BATUN
- 7- CENOTE LOL HA
- 8- CENOTE YAALUZDZIL
- Map of the cenotes in Mérida and surroundings
- Simple actions to take care of cenotes in Mexico
What are cenotes?
The word cenote is born from the Yucatecan Mayan word ts'ono'ot or dzonot (cave with water). When we talk about cenotes we are referring to the holes with water that are created with the natural landslides of the rock. They are wells that allow us to get to the water, thus in a simple way to visualize.
The topic of how cenotes are formed, what they are, what types of cenotes there are, etc. is very broad. If you are interested in the subject, we leave you an article so you can dive into the cenotes and enjoy them.
Discover what they are and how the cenotes in Mexico
How many cenotes are there in Yucatan
Thousands of cenotes have been counted in the Yucatan Peninsula, between the states of Yucatan, Quintana Roo and Campeche. Numbers between 2000, 5000 and 8000 thousand cenotes appear in different publications. They are a barbarity of hollows, it is very difficult to have an exact census of cenotes.
The Yucatan Government made a census of cenotes in which it estimates in the state of Yucatan only about 3000 thousand cenotes. This census was carried out by Sustainable Development Secretariat (SDS). A good thing is that despite changing political changes, the project has not stopped. This gives us the opportunity to approach a more or less approximate figure of cenotes in Yucatan.
In the words of Guillermo de Anda, underwater archaeologist and widely recognized voice in the world of cenotes, his estimate is about 8000 thousand cenotes in the whole of the Peninsula. The other state where there are thousands of cenotes is Quintana Roo, in the Mexican Caribbean. Campeche has far fewer cenotes, after a while we understand why.
The best cenotes in Riviera Maya
Most cenotes are lost in the dense jungle, others on private land, ranches or houses. Only a hundred of these thousands of cenotes are what we call tourist cenotes.
Cenotes in Yucatan
- CENOTE TURÍSTICO is one that is open to the public and has been conditioned for people to access. These cenotes are a source of income, they are used as natural pools, entertainment places to spend the day. They are maintained and cleaned by administrators, and offer services from restrooms, showers and many restaurants. In a few you can stay to sleep in cabins or camping. Cenotes are advertised on the roads of the Peninsula, follow any indication to cenote, so you discover on your own and you are surprised. There are cenotes that have preserved them in a more natural way, for example putting a simple wooden staircase as access. On the other hand, others break the natural charm by adding more cement and modifying the environment. Personally we like the most natural, but that is according to each one.
- CENOTE NO TURÍSTICO is the wild, natural cenote. Some are on private properties, others in the middle of the jungle. Despite knowing cenotes in a totally natural state, in the blog we do not collect them because they would lose the spirit that leads you to them. You always have to leave magic for the road 😉
Where we found the cenotes in the Yucatan Peninsula
Cenotes are found especially in the states of Quintana Roo and Yucatan. 90% of the Yucatan peninsula is less than 200 meters above sea level, the maximum elevation being close to Uxmal, the so-called Ticul mountain range, with 300 meters above sea level.
The only river system that exists on the Peninsula is in Río Hondo, border with Belize. Due to the gradient and elevation with respect to the sea of the Peninsula, in the state of Campeche there are hardly any cenotes.
These flooded caves that are seen in the graphic, give you the idea of how the fresh water in the Yucatan Peninsula flows in the water table. Quintana Roo, the state of the coast of the Caribbean Sea, are going to empty many of these waters, in the area of Tulum. There are hardly any dry caves in this area, they are flooded.
You won't want to miss the best 14 Cenotes in Valladolid
Cenote prices in Yucatán
There is a big price difference between cenotes, the main reason is tourism. The most expensive cenotes are in Quintana Roo, where mass tourism is concentrated in the Riviera Maya. Many of these cenotes have become in adventure parks, where they offer zip lines, quad tours, rappel, kayaking or horseback riding. Personally I enjoy Yucatan much more with the cenotes.
- C pricesenotes in Yucatan and the rest of the Peninsula: from 5 pesos in very local places, being a more usual price from 30 to 150 pesos.
- Cenote prices in Riviera Maya range from 120 pesos to 350 pesos, the most expensive I know. Some are more expensive because they offer you packages to visit different cenotes and do activities.
Cenotes in Mérida city that you can visit
Did you know that there is Cenotes in Merida city? If you visit the beautiful colonial city you can take the option of visiting the Cenotes in Merida: It is a solution to refresh yourself from the heats that not many know. Information extracted of the UADY
- El Tívoli: it is located at the Commercial Banking Institute, at the intersection of 62 and 45 streets. To know it, you only have to ask for permission at the Institute. It is in good condition. It is one of the most popular cenotes in Merida to visit.
- Tulipanes: it is located at calle 42 N ° 462 x 43-A in the Industrial neighborhood. You can visit it but not swim in it.
- Villa María: the house where the cenote is is called Villa María and is located on calle 27 between 20 and 22, number 202. Its current owners, the Missionary Sisters of María Inmaculada, allow the entry of young schoolchildren and occasional tourists .
- The Huolpoch cenote: located in the 510 C building on 39 street, just at the intersection with 62-A
The best 8 cenotes near Merida that I wouldn't miss
The work of the blog is always in the works of expansion and improvements because we are continually getting to know cenotes, and I assure you that this has no ceiling. It is difficult to make a list with the best cenotes, but as we know they are useful, we have done it.
In the end, they are all personal tastes, we like the cenotes that retain their most natural appearance and we don't have much to do with the park-like cenotes or those that they have modified with.
The Mérida cenotes on the list are less than 130 km from the surrounding area
1- CENOTE NOH MOZÓN
Beautiful cenote open in the town of Pixyah that meets the delights of divers and bathers. Its somewhat remote location and the dirt road means that not so many people venture here. The place is incredible.
Complete information on how to get there and photos of the cenote Noh Mozón
2- CENOTE KANKIRIXCHÉ
The Kankirixché cenote is semi-cave: wooden stairs lead you to a cavity with crystalline waters that seduces bathers and divers alike. They have a restaurant service at the entrance to the cenote and an affordable price.
3- CENOTES HOMÚN
The population of Homún is surely known to you, and it is that thanks to its dozens of cenotes, Homún is an unmissable tourist destination for those who like cenotes. They are all beautiful, it is difficult to choose: you can visit them for free or on a motorcycle taxi tour with the local guides. Just as there are places to stay in Homún, there is much beautiful to visit. Affordable prices.
Full information of all Cenotes of Homún
4- CENOTE PAPAKAL
Cenote Papakal is on the way between Mérida, Cuzamá and Homún. Most travelers pass by because Cuzamá and Homún's fame is much greater. In Papakal you will find a nice and quiet cenote where you can marvel at nature.
Information on how to get there, price and photos of the Papakal Cenote
5- CENOTE YOKDZONOT
Cenote Yokdzonot is highly visited for its beauty and good location: it is on the Mérida-Chichén Itzá route. It is a beautiful open cenote and has all the services for the traveler. You can also camp. It is also an example of local cooperative administration within the cenotes in Merida.
Complete information on how to get there and photos of the Yokdzonot cenote
6- CENOTE X-BATUN
The X-batun of San Antonio de Mulix within the cenotes in Mérida is a very popular cenote for its beauty, because a soap opera was recorded and because the photos come out great. It is also a cenote a few meters deep, and many locals do not know how to swim, so it makes access easier.
Information on how to get there, price and photos of the Cenote X-Batún
7- CENOTE LOL HA
Cenote Lol Ha is the furthest from this list of cenotes in Merida. It is located in the Yucatecan town of Yaxunah, a place where there are lodging and activities for the tourist interested in Mayan culture and traditions. Access is a bit dizzying, in case you plan to go as a family it is not the most convenient.
Complete information on how to get there and photos of the cenote Lol ha
8- CENOTE YAALUZDZIL
Cenote Yaaluzdzil is another local cenote in the Abalá area. In this area the Mucuyché cenotes are taking the fame of the place to be more publicized, but there are several interesting community cenotes such as Yaaluzdzil or the aforementioned Kankirixché.
Information on how to get there and photos of the Cenote Yaaluzdzil
Map of the cenotes in Mérida and surroundings
You can use the map to locate the cenotes and go visit them.
Simple actions to take care of the cenotes in Mexico
We hope to quench your cenote thirst from the blog. In all we put the prices, which with love and work we try to keep updated, if there are news and you let us know we appreciate it. So we help the next traveler on the road camino
In our section of the blog about CENOTES you will find more information about cenotes. If what you have read was useful, share it on your social networks, thank you very much.
The Caverns and People of Northern Yucatan Leon J. Cole. Bulletin of the American Geographical Society Vol. 42, No. 5 (1910), pp. 321-336 (16 pages) Published by: Taylor & Francis, Ltd.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Finance your flight with a signal and the rest pay in comfortable installments before the departure date of the flight with Vuelify.
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.