Hacienda Kampepén is one of those places that just when you arrive you know you were right. Hacienda Kampepén offers in its facilities a window to the local culture and history and 3 cenotes that bring out the best smile on you.
Sometimes you arrive at places by intuition, and Hacienda Kampepén was that, a turn of the wheel on the road. I was photographing cenotes in the southeastern area of Mérida, a 5-day escape through Yucatán. Hacienda Kampepén was the surprise visit of the itinerary, a success along the way.
Content of the article
WHERE IS IT LOCATED AND HOW TO GO TO HACIENDA KAMPEPÉN
Hacienda Kampepén is located in the town of Homún, at the exit towards Sotuta. Homún is a town well known for its cenotes. Every time I visit Homún there is a new cenote that opened to the public, this area is very entertaining for those who like to cenote.
Discover the Cenotes of Homún with this guide
Homún is located 53 kilometers from Merida. Nowadays using Google Maps is very simple, you must put in the search engine «Hacienda Kampepén» and Saint Google it takes you.
- BY CAR: from Mérida take the exit towards Valladolid-Cancún. After about 5 kilometers, there is a detour towards Acanceh. You must reach the town and continue towards Homún via Cuzamá. In 1 hour and a little more you arrive, there are 53 kilometers from Mérida.
- BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT: you can go in trucks (buses) second class or collective (vans) that travel along Highway 180 leaving Mérida (you can also get there from Valladolid by this means). Bus leaves from the Northeast terminal of Mérida, street 67 x 52 and 50; hours 7:45, 9:15, 10:45, 12:30 and 14:30; it costs 35 pesos. Another option is to go by bus, they leave when they fill up in front of the same terminal, on Calle 67 and charge about 30 pesos. They take approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
WHAT DOES IT OFFER? HACIENDA KAMPEPEN
We really liked the Hacienda Kampepén proposal, a very close tour of a part of the history of Yucatan. An old henequera hacienda that treasures 3 beautiful cenotes.
At the entrance, the old façade of the Hacienda awaits you, which transports you directly to another era. The Haciendas were an important part in the history of Yucatán. This place is an extraordinary walk where you can enjoy nature and learn about history in an entertaining way.
Hacienda Kampepén offers a route of 1 kilometer 200 meters. It is along marked paths that lead you through the different facilities of the Hacienda, with accurate information that helps you understand the history. The trail leads you through 3 cenotes that belonged to the Hacienda.
You can do the 1,2 kilometers in:
At the entrance they give you a small laminated map where you see all the points of the route. Simple, useful and very well done. We really liked the place, it is thought and done with a lot of love. Hacienda Kampepén improves the offer of the Homún cenotes.
THE 3 CENOTES OF THE KAMPEPÉN HACIENDA
3 are the cenotes that you can visit at the Hacienda. The accesses to the 3 cenotes are comfortable and rustic, made of wooden stairs.
- CENOTE KIXNÉ: the first cenote of the tour is of the closed type, a cave where evidence of ancient ceremonies has been found. We remember that cenotes are still used as sacred places. It is a very beautiful cenote, with the water mirror forming a circle on the walls of the space.
- CENOTE CHENKÉ: an open cenote caramel with crystalline waters of turquoise tones that falls in love. the roots exquisitely adorn the cenote.
- CENOTE LA NORIA: what used to be the well of the former hacienda, is now a cave cenote enabled to enjoy the rich bath in its crystalline fresh waters.
SERVICES, SCHEDULES AND HACIENDA KAMPEPÉN PRICE
The facilities of the place, both in signaling, information and facilities are very good, they also comply with security protocols for the covid-19 pandemic.
- FACILITIES: bathrooms and showers are very good, with this type of shower that regulates the amount of water. They include a vest for the cenotes and bicycles. They do not have restaurant service, but they do offer a food area where you can take your food and drinks
- CAMPING: We liked the camping area a lot, with a barbecue that you can use. You can bring your food and drinks. They ask for 100 pesos per person.
- NIGHT TOUR: they offer a night tour for 100 pesos per person that is interesting, I was left with the desire to see the place from another perspective.
- SCHEDULES: every day of the year from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- PRICE: 150 pesos per person / 80 pesos children and seniors / children under 7 years old and people with disabilities enter free.
Contact Hacienda Kampepen. Telephone 988 103 5337
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CENOTE HACIENDA KAMPEPEN
- WEAR A VISOR: if you go to the cenotes always wear a mask or visor to see underwater, it gives a different and beautiful view of the cenotes. If you have a water lamp, I recommend that you take it with you.
- COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR: go with closed shoes that fit, if it can get wet better.
- CASH: cash payment only.
- INSECT REPELLENT: if you are going to stay in the cenote, bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course to the swimsuit, and also a towel or sarong to dry you, if not as iguana in the sun. Like a change of clothes to change as you schedule the day.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
CENOTES MÉRIDA MAP AND WHAT TO DO IN THE AREA
In the surroundings of Mérida there are endless beautiful cenotes to visit. To make it easier for you, we leave you a map of cenotes around Mérida so you can choose with updated and local information 😊
- WHAT NEARBY CENOTES YOU CAN VISIT: In Homún you have several cenotes to visit. We recommend you sleep in Homún and get to know the area calmly, for that we made the complete guide of Cenotes in Homun.
- OTHER ATTRACTIONS IN THE AREA: In addition to many other cenotes in the area, we highlight the archaeological zone of Acanceh
Undoubtedly the Hacienda Kampepén and its cenotes have become one of our favorites in Homún. Enjoy the place, it is one of those that is worth it. Congratulations to the administrators of the place, a great pleasure to have places like this in Yucatan.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.