Cenote Kax Ek is one of the least modified cenotes that you will find in the Chichén Itzá area. Those of you who seek contact with nature, I am sure you will like it.
Cenote Kax Ek is one of the most announced cenotes when you are on your way to Chichén Itzá from Valladolid. Several signs with the name indicate the distance to the place. It is a different cenote within the tourist cenotes in the Valladolid and Chichen Itza area. This cenote has preserved its natural state.
The Kax Ek cenote is located within a UMA (Management Units for the Conservation of Wildlife). They are a type of protected natural area on private land, as in this case, which is used for conservation.
Most cenotes modify them so that tourism sees them as more attractive and to facilitate access. It is easy to take, for example, the Suytun cenote, well known by Instagramers, who are looking for the best photo on a cement platform that goes to the middle of the cenote.
Cenote Kax Ek is the opposite of this. It is a natural space that they preserve in a rustic way. It is not for instagramers, but for people who value natural spaces where they can enjoy nature without decorations. If you are not a camper, the Kax Ek cenote is not for you.
This adventure was with my friend Isabella, with whom we created the blog in English Mexico cenotes & ruins and we love sharing adventures on the road. For many more partner.
HOW TO GO TO CENOTE KAX EK
Cenote Kax Ek is between Valladolid and Chichén Itzá, in the town of Tinum. The location is ideal as it is close to very important tourist spots in Yucatan.
The most important thing you should know to go to this cenote is to take into account the last 4 kilometers to the access to the place. It is a dirt road that especially in the rainy season (from May to November) gets a bit ugly. It is not necessary to go in a 4×4 car, but be patient because you will go between 10 and 5 km per hour.
- How to go to the Kax Ek cenote by public transport: Using public transport is complicated, especially since from the entrance to the highway there are 4 kilometers along a dirt road to the cenote. One possibility is to go from Valladolid or Pisté to Tinum, and from Tinum take a motorcycle taxi to the cenote.
- How to go to the Kax Ek cenote by taxi: you can ask the taxi drivers to give you a price to take you. Take into account that the last stretch of 4 kilometers to the cenote is not very good, less so in the rainy season.
- How to go to the Kax Ek cenote by car: You don't need a 4×4, much less to get to the cenote, but you do need the patience of doing the last 4 kilometers by road, not very good, so you can take it into account. From Valladolid you must drive 40 minutes, and from Chichén Itzá 30 minutes by car.
ABOUT CENOTE KAX EK
In this natural environment you will have the opportunity to see several cenotes, they do different tours in the place. You can visit only the Kax Ek cenote, or extend the tour with the Kakaltun cenote. If you want more, there is a tour of several hours for hiking and cenotes.
- ABOUT HIS NAME: Kax Ek is a Mayan word that means Green Forest in Spanish.
- CENOTE KAX EK CHARACTERISTICS: It is an open cenote with a large diameter. Its crystalline green color is very attractive, among the green of the Mayan mountain. It is a very pleasant place where you can experience nature in a peaceful way.
- WHAT WE LIKE THE MOST: the natural that everything is maintained, is total nature, and we like that a lot.
- WHAT WE LIKE LEAST: the guards are somewhat suspicious of the issue of paying money, since several see the cenote and want their money back. It is not the typical cenote with crystalline blue waters, and some may not like it. I felt that anger in the place, I loved it. We were able to observe several birds and enjoy the sound of nature.
- A LITTLE SECRET: it is not a cenote that is very visited by tourists, and in this area most of the cenotes are very popular due to the proximity to Chichén Itzá, where tour operators look for cenotes with easy access for their tourists.
INFORMATION TO VISIT CENOTE KAX EK
Kax Ek cenote hours
Open every day from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Kax Ek cenote price
Access to the Kax Ek cenote costs 200 Mexican pesos per adult.
The price for the visit to the Kax Ek cenote and the Kukultan cenote is 300 pesos per person, children 150. The Kakaltun cenote is located before Kax Ek, you must always go to the Kax Ek cenote first, here is the ticket office.
They offer other activities such as hiking through several cenotes that are located in the area. You can contact them directly to inform you, we will give you the contact later.
Kax Ek cenote services
They have shower service, vest rental (40 pesos) and lodging in quite rustic cabins. You can also do camping. SLEEPING IN CENOE KAX EK: the cabin has a cost of $1500 per night for 4 people, the cabin currently does not have its own bathroom. It has light, a bed, up to 2 hammocks, pillow sheets, fans.
Contact cenote kax Ek
This is the page of Kax Ek cenote Facebook, where you can contact them directly.
Their telephone number is +52 985 129 7199 You can ask about the different private tours they do in the area or about the lodging.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CENOTE KAX EK
- COMFORTABLE SHOES: go with closed shoes that fit, if you can get wet better. You must walk a few meters to the entrance to the cenote, you will be more comfortable with closed shoes that protect you from possible footsteps of insects.
- CASH: cash payment only.
- INSECT REPELLENT: if you are going to stay in the cenote, bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course the swimsuit, and also a towel or pareo to dry off. Like a change of clothes to change as you schedule the day.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Pick up all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or remove flora or fauna, it is a federal crime.
CENOTES VALLADOLID MAP
We made the Valladolid cenotes map to make it easier for you to choose which cenote to go to in the area. You can click the link to explore the cenotes around Valladolid, there are many wonders here.
I leave you some recommendations, open the map to see more cenotes
- The large Chichén Itzá it is only 28 kilometers away, 40 minutes by car
- Yaxunah a Mayan town where you can eat an exquisite suckling pig. 1 hour by car, 50 kilometers
- Ikkil Cenote, the most visited in Yucatan
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.