Cenote Chunkuy joins the wonderful cenotes of Cuzamá, an area full of cenotes that will trap you. The offer of cenotes in Yucatan continues to grow with wonders such as the Chunkuy cenote.
When we arrived in 2007 to live in the Peninsula, the best known cenotes in Yucatan were those of Cuzamá. In these years, the tourist offer of cenotes has been expanding considerably, and Cuzamá continues to be a reference in cenotes. Together with the population of Homún, they are both references as cenote paradises.
Personally, I couldn't keep a better memory of my visit to the Chunkuy cenote, let's see it.
Content of the article
HOW TO GO TO CENOTES CUZAMÁ FROM MERIDA
Cuzamá is located 43 kilometers from Mérida. Nowadays using Google Maps is very simple, you must put in the search engine «Cenote Chunkuy Parador Turístico» and Saint Google it takes you.
- BY CAR: from Mérida take the exit towards Valladolid-Cancún. After about 5 kilometers, there is a detour towards Acanceh. You must get to the town and continue to Cuzamá. In one hour you arrive, there are 48 kilometers from Merida.
- BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT: you can go in trucks (buses) second class or collective (vans) that travel along highway 180 leaving Mérida (you can also arrive from Valladolid by this means). The bus leaves from the Northeast terminal of Mérida, calle 67 x 52 y 50; schedules 7:45, 9:15, 10:45, 12:30 and 14:30; It costs 35 pesos. Another option is to go by bus, they leave when they fill up in front of the same terminal, on Calle 67 and charge about 30 pesos. It takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Buses also arrive from Piste or Valladolid.
Once you get to the Plaza de Cuzamá, you will see that there are several motorcycle taxis waiting to accompany you to the cenotes. They charge about 25 pesos per person.
CENOTES IN CUZAMÁ TO VISIT
Cuzamá has several tourist cenotes, including the Chunkuy cenote. This cenote opens its doors in 2021, of the new treasures in the population that are left uncovered.
The route from Mérida to Cuzamá takes you through an area full of cenotes. Both Cuzamá and neighboring Homún are among the most popular cenote destinations in Yucatán. In the Plaza de Cuzamá, where are the colored letters that have adorned practically all of Mexico, you will see that there are indications for all the cenotes.
We give you the information of the other cenotes in Cuzamá.
- TOURIST PARADOR LOS 3 CENOTES CUZAMÁ: visit 3 cenotes. You do it by truck, which is a wagon transport that goes by rails pulled by horse or mule. FULL INFO of The 3 Cuzamá cenotes
- CENOTES X'TOHIL TOURIST PARADOR: visits 4 cenotes. You do the same in a truck.
- PARADOR TURÍSTICO CENOTES CHUNKANAN: you visit 3 cenotes, and you do it by truck
- CENOTE CHUNKUY TOURIST PARADOR: visits 1 cenote. It's spectacular, now we see it 👌
Personally, we don't like the truck system very much, we like to walk or bike to the cenotes more.
I arrived at the Chunkuy cenote late in the day, after having photographed 4 cenotes on that day. When I'm working with the camera, I don't usually take a bath, because that's not what I'm doing. Although I also confess that I return without a camera to give my enjoyment to the majority.
The descent to the Chunkuy cenote impressed me, you are going to enjoy a huge vault. I dare to say that it is the largest vaulted tourist cenote in the area. Scandal of beauty, of those cenotes difficult to capture its impressive dimension in a single shot.
After taking the photos, being the last cenote I visited that day, I went to put on my swimsuit. Enjoying places like this in such an intimate way gives me tremendous joy. The silence accompanied by the flapping of the swallows, the wind blowing through the entrance and the drops of the stalactites falling.
A temple for me, so thank you infinite for these experiences.
CENOTE CHUNKUY SERVICES, TIMETABLE AND PRICE
Cenote Chunkuy opens its doors in 2021. It is managed by the owners of the Yaxcabaltun cenote, which you can find in the town of Homún. In fact, if you visit the two cenotes, they give you a discount. We leave you their website so that you have direct contact with Chunkuy cenotes
Another good thing about the Chunkuy cenote are the accesses, as it looks like a rustic cenote, just as we like them. The entrance is very comfortable, made of wood and stone, without detracting from the natural environment.
Cenote Chunkuy Hours
They open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day
Cenote Chunkuy price
50 pesos per person the entrance to the cenote, includes bathrooms, changing rooms and vest.
Cenote Chunkuy Services
- restaurant area. Bathrooms and changing tables.
- Palapa rental with chairs for 50 pesos per day.
- CAMPING AREA: the cost per person is 70 pesos. 115 pesos camping and access to the cenote.
- Cenote rental for private events, Mayan ceremonies. They give rates for photoshoots, events and parties.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CENOTE CHUNKY
- WEAR A VISOR: wear a mask or visor to see underwater, I assure you that it gives you a different and beautiful view of the cenotes. If you have a water lamp, I recommend that you take it with you.
- COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR: you can go with flip-flops, although we recommend it better to go with comfortable closed shoes.
- CASH: cash payment only.
- INSECT REPELLENT: if you are going to stay in the cenote, bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course to the swimsuit, and also a towel or sarong to dry you, if not as iguana in the sun. Like a change of clothes to change as you schedule the day.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
CENOTES MERIDA MAP
In the surroundings of Mérida we can enjoy incredible cenotes. We have made an informative map of the Merida cenotes to make it easier to explore the area.
- WHAT NEARBY CENOTE CAN YOU VISIT: we leave you the complete guide of the Cenotes of Homún and what to do in the area so you can enjoy it to the fullest.
- OTHER ATTRACTIONS IN THE AREA: In addition to many other cenotes in the area, we highlight the archaeological zone of Acanceh
Cenote Chunkuy seemed to us a beautiful place to enjoy with your family impressive crystal clear waters. Of those beautiful cenotes that take your breath away. If you add to its beauty the care of the facilities, we have a cenote that we like to talk about for all of us to enjoy.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.