Cenote Carwash is one of the classic Tulum cenotes, one of the first cenotes that opened to tourists from the Riviera Maya. It is located a few kilometers from Tulum, one of the most beautiful in the area?
The cenotes of Riviera Maya are a great tourist attraction, and in recent years cenotes have been exploited more in Mexico. Right now in Riviera Maya there are dozens of cenotes open to the public that you can enjoy. Cenote Carwash is one of the classic cenote of Tulum, of the cenotes of a lifetime what would we say.
Know the best Cenotes in Tulum. We have lived in the area since 2007, can we help you?
HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CARWASH
Cenote Car Wash is located at kilometer 8 of the Tulum-Cobá highway. It is 12 minutes by car, you can still go by bicycle because the hard shoulder is wide to the cenote. In Tulum you have the opportunity to rent a bike, an option chosen by many tourists to visit several nearby points.
On this road that goes from Tulum to Cobá you will find several cenotes near Tulum such as Gran Cenote, Calavera cenote, Canamayte or Zacil-Há. Pay attention to the signs and enjoy your day among crystalline waters? Cenote zacil-há is next door, you can walk.
Know the most popular Bike routes from Tulum
CENOTE CARWASH OR AKTUN HA
The most popular name is cenote Carwash, but it is also known as cenote Aktun ha. The word ha in Mayan means water, so if you see a name with the ending hYou already know that there is water in that place.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT CENOTE CARWASH
- CENOTE XOOCH CHARACTERISTICS: Cenote Carwash or Cenote Aktun ha is a beautiful open cenote that gives access to a cave system of almost 3 kilometers in length. Inside the cave is located "The Chamber of the Ancestors" where evidence of bonfires from 27 years ago have been found at a depth of 10,000 meters. It is a beautiful dive and not difficult at all, highly recommended for beginners diving in cenotes. The carwash cenote is up to 5 meters deep in the open bathing area: a stalactite can be seen at the bottom. It is an ideal cenote for families due to the wide platform that they have for access to the cenote, easy for the family. For divers it is an easy to dive and beautiful cenote. It reaches a depth of 15 meters, in a crystalline greenish color characteristic of the Carwash cenote. A cave makes its way into the depths on the side of the cenote. It is simply wonderful to dive cenotes, do not miss it?
- WHAT WE LIKE THE MOST: The environment of the Carwash cenote and the vegetation is a point in favor for the bather, it is beautiful. Wear a snorkel mask, it is very entertaining to swim here because of the fauna of various fish and turtles, in addition to the characteristic vegetation, algae, roots and other aquatic plants.
- WHAT WE LIKE LEAST: The proximity to Tulum makes it more visited than we like.
- IDEAL FOR: Divers and nature lovers.
- PHOTO TIP: It is open and you can go around the entire diameter of the cenote, so the consecutive hours of light will favor different perspectives of the cenote. The color of the Carwash cenote water changes depending on the rainy or dry season: it is much more crystalline when it is not raining.
WHY IS IT CALLED CENOTE CARWASH
Cenote Carwash is an eye-catching name. Carwash It means car wash, and that is the reason for the name: years ago there was a taxi wash on this road that leads from Tulum to Cobá, hence the name. The laundry room has not been used for years.
IINFORMATION TO VISIT CENOTE CARWASH
It is a cenote that I have special affection for because we have dived it and I have shared good times there.
CENOTE CARWASH SCHEDULE
They open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
CENOTE CARWASH PRICE
200 foreign pesos / 150 national pesos / 100 Quintana Roo pesos with credential. Divers 250 pesos. INAPAM do not pay. If you enter a large aquatic camera, it is 150 pesos and a drone is 150 pesos as well.
CENOTE CARWASH SERVICES
There are bathrooms and changing rooms. They rent a life jacket for an additional 20 pesos. And lockers for 30 pesos. They do not offer food, take a minimum of water to stay well hydrated. There are tables where you can eat what you bring, you cannot enter alcoholic beverages.
RECOMENDATIONS TO VISIT CENOTE CAR WASH
- TAKE A VISOR: if you go to cenotes, always wear a mask or visor to see underwater, I assure you that it gives you a different and beautiful view of the cenotes. In several cenotes they rent the visor, but you can save it if you bring your own, it is even more hygienic.
- COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR: access to the cenotes is very varied: dirt roads, sometimes slippery stairs, some enter the water with a stone. Go with closed shoes that fit, if you can get wet better.
- CASH: they only accept payment in cash.
- PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE SUN: it is an open cenote, I recommend a liter of water before sunscreen, even if it is biodegradable, you contaminate the water.
- INSECT REPELLENT: bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course the swimsuit, and also a towel or pareo to dry off.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
CENOTES TULUM MAP
To make it easier for you to find other cenotes in Tulum and things to do around Tulum, we leave you the map of Tulum with our recommendations. You can go to the link to open it.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.