Cenote Caliskutz is one of the more than 20 cenotes that you can visit in Homún. Homún is the most popular cenote destination in the Yucatan. Do not miss it
Cenote Caliskutz is one of the cenotes that I like the most of the Homún cenotes. The evaluations are very personal because we base them on different sensations: in addition to the beauty of the cenote itself, for me the moment lived counts a lot and also if it is a cenote where the natural environment is respected.
Cenote Caliskutz met all my expectations, I just loved it. I visited it with my friends Isa and Dani, and she was a gift.
The entrance is simple, no big signs or anything. It is located after a 4 kilometer dirt road and is perfectly signposted. On this path you will also find the cenote Mani Chan and Cleotilde.
From the Mani Chan cenote they give you access to the other two cenotes in the area: Cleotilde and Caliskutz. I advise you to visit all 3, they are very special.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT CENOTE caliskutz
The owner of this cenote is the same one who manages Cenote San Isidro, a park with a cenote and different pools where you can spend the day in Homún. Totally different from Caliskutz, a cenote where you can enjoy the natural space.
It is one of the most recently opened cenotes, and being a little further from the town of Homún, it is very possible that you will find fewer people. Something vital for me, because I don't enjoy crowded cenotes.
The Caliskutz cenote has crystal clear waters and beautiful formations of a whitish aroca. The entrance is through wooden stairs that are not intrusive with the environment. You go down about 10 meters before reaching the water.
There is a platform from which you jump into the water from 3 meters high. There are always those who like to do their dive, so here is your chance to do it.
- ABOUT HIS NAME: his name means wild turkey
- CHARACTERISTICS CENOTE CALISKUTZ: it is a closed cenote with deep parts and few places to stand. A narrow entrance leads you to a large and beautiful space.
- WHAT I LIKE THE MOST: I loved this cenote, wide, with beautiful rock formations and the impressive roots of the poplar tree entering the crystalline waters.
- WHAT I LIKE LEAST: nothing
- A LITTLE SECRET: if you go early in the morning, you will most likely be alone, and this is unlikely in the Homún cenotes.
HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CALISKUTZ (MOUNT TURKEY CENOTE)
Cenote Caliskutz is one of the Homún cenotes that are a little further from the center. This is good for those of us who like to enjoy the cenotes in peace and solitude. When we went we were able to be alone, and we appreciated it very much.
A dirt road at the western entrance of the town, the one in Mérida, leads us along 4 kilometers to the cenote. It is well indicated, and the path is good. I do not know in the rainy season if many holes are made. Anyway, I would go.
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CALISKUTZ BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: from Mérida the bus (van) leaves the central neighborhood (calle 52 x 65 y 67). Schedules from Mérida to Homún starting at 6 in the morning, last departure at 5:30 pm. From Homún to Mérida, the first departure is at 5:30 in the morning and the last between 5 and 6 in the afternoon. Price: 34 pesos per person. The schedules of the buses are not very exact, they leave when they are full. It is a very busy route, so it is easy for the bus to fill up quickly. The tour is approximately 1 hour. Location of the Mérida-Homún bus terminal
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CALISKUTZ BY CAR: from Mérida take Calle 59 to the peripheral of the city, and follow the sign to Chichén Itzá. Continue on the road for almost 30 kilometers until the detour to Tahmek. Hocabá continues from here and then Homún.
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CALISKUTZ BY MOTOTAXI FROM HOMÚN: prices are around 250 pesos for a tour of the cenotes by motorcycle taxi. You can see from 3 to 5 cenotes depending on the time you spend. You can agree on another price to stay longer and go to more remote cenotes.
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE CALISKUTZ BY BIKE: they rent bicycles in Homún to do the tour to the cenotes. Protect yourself from the heat and the sun, always wear cool clothes, a hat and water.
INFORMATION TO VISIT CENOTE caliskutz
Caliskutz cenote hours
From 9 to 5 in the afternoon every day.
Caliskutz cenote services
- Watering cans
- Palapa where to rest
Caliskutz cenote price
70 pesos per person.
From the Mani Chan cenote they include a motorcycle taxi to visit the 3 cenotes in the area: Caliskutz, Mani Chan and Cleotilde. The total price is 210 pesos, 70 pesos per cenote. It's very worth it. Also in the Mani Chan cenote they offer food service.
Meet the cenote Mani Chan and Cleotilde for complete information and see photos.
We leave you their WhatsApp so that you can contact them for any questions or requests: +52 999 365 9514
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CENOTE caliskutz
- BRING A VISOR: if you have a diving mask, take it, it's very nice to see the bottom of the cenotes. If you have a water lamp I recommend that you take it.
- COMFORTABLE SHOES: I recommend closed shoes that fit, if you can get wet better. You can go to this cenote in flip flops, the wooden staircase is comfortable.
- CASH: only pay in cash, if you have a small bill better.
- INSECT REPELLENT: bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course the swimsuit, and also a towel or pareo to dry yourself. Do not forget a change of clothes to dry after bathing.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
- TIP FOR PHOTOS: take frames without the spotlights that illuminate the cenote being in front of the camera.
CENOTES HOMÚN MAP
I leave you the map with the cenotes of Homún where you can find the information of each one of them with their photos. There is a lot to choose from so plan your trip well and have a lot of fun cenoteing in Homún.
Discover all the cenotes of Homún
Always remember to travel with respect, it is something that we humans can improve a lot and we would surely create a more beautiful world.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.