The municipality of Tizimín is the one with the most registered cenotes in all of Yucatán, as reflected in the census of the Yucatán Secretariat for Sustainable Development (SDS). In Tizimín there is a wonderful world away from tourism to discover. The Aka'ab Che'en cenote is one of the good surprises along the way.
Cenote Aka'ab Che'en is one of those places with a beautiful history of community work: just before the pandemic, the residents of Tikcancal decide to group together as a cooperative and together clean the space, enable the trail and the entrance to the cenote. The pandemic stopped their dream that some of them have resumed with the same enthusiasm with which they started.
We can assure you that they will welcome you with open arms in Tixcancal.
Content of the article
HOW TO GO TO CENOTE TIXCANCAL (AKA'AB CHE'EN)
The closest tourist place is El Cuyo, the coastal town that belongs to the Ría Lagartos Biosphere Reserve. A destination for nature, beach and kite lovers. In this beautiful port we have our home: Can Cocal.
The city of Tizimín does not receive many tourists, most of them are passing travelers who go to Río Lagartos, Las Coloradas or El Cuyo. Tizimín is the nerve center of transport and passage.
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE TIXCANCAL BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: you have it somewhat complicated because there is very little public transport that reaches Tixcancal. Despite all the towns being connected by combis, there are few that run through this area and it gets complicated. but what can be done (it would be a matter of asking in Tizimín)
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE TIXCANCAL BY TAXI: from Tizimín or El Cuyo you can ask for a price for this service.
- HOW TO GO TO CENOTE TIXCANCAL BY CAR: Once you arrive at Tixcancal you must continue along the road towards Chan Cenote. A few meters out of town you will find the Aka'ab Che'en cenote. They are secondary roads, that means they are narrow and sometimes there are some holes. Drive carefully and slow down in towns 🙏
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
Cenote Aka'ab Che'en is one of the cenotes to enjoy away from tourism. Surely little by little it will become more popular and in time the population of El Cuyo will distribute tourism to the surroundings. The cenotes are a tourist vein, it will continue to grow
- ABOUT HIS NAME: Aka'ab Che'en means dark well.
- CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN CHARACTERISTICS: As its name tells us, it is a dark cave cenotes, with a small entrance of light that penetrates through the hollow of the wooden stairs to access the cenote. The stalactites, stalagmites and formations are spectacular, the vault is a luxury.
- WHAT WE LIKE THE MOST: The desire of the locals who have come together in a cooperative to carry out this project is moving. They receive you with that desire and affection that only they can give because of the desire they throw at it. The cenotes run by communities have this special touch of insurmountable affection. They have kept it totally natural.
- WHAT WE LIKE LEAST: They are still growing, they still need to build a bathroom and shower. If you are going to bathe in the cenote you can take a shower with a bucket so as not to contaminate the place.
- A LITTLE SECRET: there are some painted hands in the grotto, it indicates that the grotto was occupied in ancient times. Many caves in the Peninsula have painted hands, many near bodies of water. Most likely they were part of ceremonies.
INFORMATION TO VISIT CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
We give you practical information to visit the Ak'ab Che'en cenote in Tixcancal.
SCHEDULE CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
Open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
PRICE CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
35 local pesos
50 foreign pesos
SERVICES CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
The cenote has a comfortable wooden staircase to go down and it is illuminated.
- They have life jackets.
- They are finishing up the bathrooms and showers.
- They have rest areas, a nursery, production of organic fertilizers, reforested areas to visit and the adopt a tree project (they explain it there). They are building a butterfly farm.
CONTACT CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
The members of the cooperative always take turns to receive the visitor. We leave you the page of Aka'ab Che'en cenote Facebook for you to contact them.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CENOTE AKA'AB CHE'EN
- WEAR A VISOR: if you go to the cenotes always wear a mask or visor to see underwater, I assure you that it gives you a different and beautiful view of the cenotes. If you have a water lamp, I recommend that you take it with you.
- COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR: access to the cenotes is very varied: dirt roads, sometimes slippery stairs, some of you enter the water stepping on stone. Go with closed shoes that fit, if you can get wet better.
- CASH: only pay in cash, if you have small change better. think that many people do not receive to date and sometimes you will not have change..
- INSECT REPELLENT: if you are going to stay in the cenote, bring biodegradable repellent, use it after bathing.
- GO THROUGH THE SHOWER / SHOWER: a good shower before entering the cenotes is essential to avoid contaminating them with chemicals from our body, such as creams, deodorants, soaps, even our sweat.
- THE SWIMSUIT: of course to the swimsuit, and also a towel or sarong to dry you, if not as iguana in the sun. Like a change of clothes to change as you schedule the day.
- RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: do not hang from the roots of the trees, do not scratch the walls, do not touch the stalactites or do any other idiocy that damages the place. Collect all your garbage, do not eat or drink in the cenotes, do not touch or subtract flora or fauna.
CENOTES TIZIMIN MAP
Despite being the municipality with the most cenotes, there are not many that are enabled for tourism. We are sure that in the coming years more cenotes will open their waters to tourism, which is growing in the area. We leave you our map of cenotes in Tizimín 💙
- WHAT NEARBY CENOTE CAN YOU VISIT: Santa Cruz cenote in Chan Cenote
- OTHER ATTRACTIONS IN THE AREA: on the way from Tizimín to the cenote you have the Kulub archaeological zoneá and the San Manuel Community Museum km.11
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.