In Muyil you can tour part of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, one of the pleasant surprises that the Riviera Maya holds. Muyil has been covered by the most visited Tulum and Cobá.
Despite being hooked on Riviera Maya, Muyil retains its anonymity, another good reason to visit it. We visited it for the first time at 2008, and during these years they have made considerable improvements in the entrance and vestige services. It was from the places that pleasantly surprised me.
Muyear It combines a beautiful landscape of ruins between exuberant jungle and the beautiful path through the Sian Ka'an Reserve to the Chunyaxché lagoon (name by which Muyil is also known). Both attractions are the perfect combination of culture and nature.
You can add to the Muyil visit a boat trip through Sian Ka'an, where you will discover other Mayan remains and swim in the lagoon between mangrove channels. Muyil can be your surprise on the way.
Discover the best 5 archaeological sites of Quintana Roo
IMPORTANCE OF MUYIL
The excellent location near the lagoon, allowed the ancient Maya to exit to the sea through the channels that flow there, channels that they modified to make them navigable to the Caribbean Sea. This turned to Muyil in the most important city of the more than 20 vestiges located in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve area.
Muyil was one of the great commercial ports, with networks that took them to Belize. Muyil was undoubtedly linked to Cobá, the most important Mayan city in this area of Quintana Roo.
Its most outstanding building is the Castle with a height of 12 meters, you can climb the temple.
It's nice to walk around and discover the place with the tranquility you'll find in Muyil, away from other more touristy places. You will realize the power of the jungle eating the ancient Mayan structures.
HOW TO GO TO MUYIL
Muyil is located 22 kilometers south of Tulum. The entrance is on federal highway 307.
- HOW TO GO TO MUYIL BY CAR: Take federal highway 307, which runs in a straight line from Cancun-Puerto Morelos-Playa del Carmen-Tulum-Bacalar-Chetumal. It is well signposted, it has no loses. From Tulum it is 20 minutes.
- HOW TO GO TO MUYIL BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: From the center of Tulum, in front of the bus station, there are buses heading south. Tell the driver that you get off at Muyil so he can let you know. The archaeological zone is at the foot of the road. The ticket costs about 20 pesos per person, you cannot travel with a large backpack.
- HOW TO GO TO MUYIL BY TAXI: Riviera Maya taxi drivers have official rates. Ask in Tulum, Playa del Carmen or wherever for the official rates and agree on a price with them if you want them to wait for you when you return.
TIPS TO VISIT MUYIL
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: Being close to the Riviera Maya, it is a visited place, but obviously not at the level of Tulum or Cobá. If you go early you will be alone.
- WHAT TO BRING: it is best to go with light and comfortable clothes, better to go with closed shoes and bring water. Bring insect repellent, especially from May to December.
- VISIT TIME: one hour would be enough for the archaeological zone, add another hour if you walk the path of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. Obviously if you like to entertain yourself like we do, you can spend a good time touring the place.
THE HIGHLIGHTS OF MUYIL
For us, the fact of being able to enjoy the combination of the archaeological zone with the short walk that takes you into the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve is something very interesting. It is not the most spectacular of the vestiges, but it is a surprising corner.
VERY PRACTICAL INFORMATION
Monday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 15:00 p.m.
Free parking, toilets and guide service.
65 pesos per person. On Sundays the entrance to the INAH is free for Mexicans and permanent residents. Access to the archaeological zones is free every day for children under 13 years of age, students, teachers and seniors with valid credentials.
TRAVEL THE SIAN KA'AN PATH FROM MUYIL
Inside the vestibule there is a interpretative path which crosses the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve that takes you to the lagoon and helps you with informative signs to know more about the beautiful area.
On this path, you will find a watchtower, which if you dare to climb it, you will have a wonderful view until you see the Caribbean. If you are not afraid of heights, do not miss it. Watch for the animals you can see along the way, like some coati and beautiful birds.
TRAIL PRICE: 70 pesos per person is the payment to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
BOAT EXCURSIONS FROM LA LAGUNA MUYIL
The interpretive trail through the Reserve is taken near the Castillo de Muyil, the tallest building. The 2-kilometre path leads you to the lagoon, where boats depart for the Sian Ka'an Reserve.
PRICES OF THE EXCURSIONS: Excursion between an hour and a half and two hours costs 900 pesos per person. The boats are from 6 people. Wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun and long sleeves, the boats are not roofed (they do not allow it so as not to damage the mangrove with the roof of the boat, it goes through a narrow channel)
WHAT TO BRING TO THE EXCURSION? Wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun and long sleeves, the boats are not roofed (they do not allow it to avoid damaging the mangrove with the roof of the boat, it passes through a narrow channel).
WHAT TO VISIT NEAR MUYIL
Many travelers cross the road from Tulum to Chetumal, passing by Muyil. Now that you know him, I recommend that you take your time to visit this pleasant surprise.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.