In colors, the Bacalar lagoon has nothing to envy to the Caribbean Sea. If the day is clear you can see 7 different colors covering the lagoon, as it is known: the lagoon of the 7 colors. It is one of those stops on your way that you will not forget.
The town of Bacalar is one of the Magical Towns of Mexico. This old fortified colonial port preserves part of the San Felipe fort. It was built in 1729 to counter the attacks of the English pirates who stalked this Caribbean area. The local is proud of his roots.
In a place close to the Riviera Maya with relatively young cities like Playa del Carmen or Cancun, it takes us to a Mexico with more soul and tradition. You are in a different place on this eastern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.
La Bacalar lagoon extends 40 kilometer parallel to the Caribbean Sea, with channels that connect it to the sea and other lagoons such as the Xul-Há lagoon or the Guerrero lagoon. Bacalar It is a quiet town where tourism has been growing in recent years along with services.
HOW TO GET TO LAGUNA BACALAR
Bacalar is located on the federal highway 307. This road runs from north to south throughout the state of Quintana Roo, from Cancun to Chetumal, parallel to the coast of the Caribbean Sea. It is a very comfortable road, with sections of two lanes, other sections of a single lane, but it is wide and has a good paved and hard shoulder. As we see Bacalar is very well connected by road, also by public transport.
I link you tips for traveling by bus in Mexico, you can save by buying in advance.
HOW TO GET TO BACALAR FROM CANCUN, PLAYA DEL CARMEN OR TULUM
- BY HIGHWAY: from any of these towns you must take federal highway 307 and do not leave it. From Cancun it takes 4 and a half hours, from Playa del Carmen 3 and a half hours and from Tulum just under three hours.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: The company of ADO buses It has daily schedules to get to Bacalar. From Cancun a ticket leaves for about 470 pesos. Search schedules and prices directly on their website.
If you want to go on a trip from Riviera Maya to Bacalar, you have this interesting option
HOW TO GET TO LAGUNA BACALAR FROM CHETUMAL
- BY HIGHWAY: Take the 307 federal highway towards the north towards Bacalar, at about 40 minutes you arrive at the destination.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: from Chetumal there is still buses of the company ADO, search schedules and prices directly on their website. You also have the option to go in collective taxi: The Whereabouts of Bacalar Taxis It is in the center of Chetumal, they are taxis for 4 people that leave when they are full. Each person pays about 30 Mexican pesos each way.
- FROM THE CHETUMAL AIRPORT: There is the option of a direct taxi from the airport of Chetumal to Bacalar. A private taxi costs 500 pesos the way, if it is a shared taxi about 150 pesos per person.
HOW TO GET TO LAGUNA BACALAR FROM MÉRIDA
- BY HIGHWAY: If you are going to go from Mérida, the road is not so fast in all sections, because you are going to go through the villages: that means that you will have bumps and that you slow down. Anyway, this road has been improved a lot, and you will go through a less touristy area. It will be a journey of just over 4 and a half hours.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: buses from the ADO company also leave from Merida. schedules and prices directly on their website.
Bacalar like the traveler. Here one is amazed by the beauty of the colors, the tranquility and the atmosphere of the place. The lagoon offers you relaxation, water sports, nature, also keeps secrets such as cenotes and stromatolites. Sundays usually filled with local tourists, especially those spas located at the foot of the lagoon, where there are palapas to eat. Here you live a peaceful atmosphere of families who spend the day in Bacalar.
Bacalar has lodgings at the foot of the lagoon, some near the urban center, others in the town and others on the 307 road. The lagoon is very extensive, there are lodges for all tastes.
Bacalar it accommodates the traveler without losing its essence and character. The locals do not envy their neighbors to the north, they feel their little Caribbean better, it is a special place.
- Offers on flights international and national ..
- Find the accommodation with the best offers from Booking.com.
- Stay with Airbnb and get 25 € discount.
- Contract activities, tours and excursions organized.
- Rent a car with the indispensable and necessary best discounts.
- Secure your transfers of arrival or departure to the airport.
- Travel safely with IATI and take advantage of 5% off.
If you prefer, you tell us your idea of the trip and together we organize it.
A secluded place that retains its magic. The images are spectacular. Thanks Sandra
good sandra! there is access to places
Where do good snorkeling in Bacalar lagoon? if it is possible to go for our doctors better! we have auto
Laguna Bacalar has different accesses from the town and in the spas (that's what they call restaurants at the foot of the lagoon). Another possibility is to enter any of the hotels, take advantage of their restaurant and the access they have to the lagoon. As I say, there are several accesses.
As I see that you like snorkeling, you can go to the Cenote Azul, it's nice to dive there with a mask.
For the Riviera Maya area, to go on your own with snorkeling Soliman Bay, Akumal (not only the turtles, there are good nearby reefs with enough life) and Paamul.
Thank you for subscribing to the blog Mariano 🙂